Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.3 Released With More Meteor Lake Enablement, Zen 4 Auto IBRS & Much More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.3 Released With More Meteor Lake Enablement, Zen 4 Auto IBRS & Much More

Phoronix: Linux 6.3 Released With More Meteor Lake Enablement, Zen 4 Auto IBRS & Much More

Linus Torvalds just released Linux 6.3 as the newest stable kernel version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

fast forward to the future-thanks linus!

Comment

Oof, now I'm tempted to pick up one of those 8BitDo Pro 2 wired controllers that I know I don't really need...

Comment

Building 6.3.0 with "bindeb-pkg" after 6.2.12 required installing debhelper package first. Also dpkg building script is modified and CONFIG_LOCALVERSION variable is not appended to .deb package filename anymore. But "uname -a" still includes the variable in the version string of kernel. Other than these Debian specific details, kernel just boots and runs fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
          Building 6.3.0 with "bindeb-pkg" after 6.2.12 required installing debhelper package first. Also dpkg building script is modified and CONFIG_LOCALVERSION variable is not appended to .deb package filename anymore. But "uname -a" still includes the variable in the version string of kernel. Other than these Debian specific details, kernel just boots and runs fine for me.
          I used to use make deb-pkg but its not working for me, complains it's not a git repo. How does bindeb-pkg differ?

No idea why they made such changes, was fine for years as it was.

Comment

I seem to be getting some nasty performance regressions. Having ~40 tabs open (don't judge me…) in luakit slows the entire system to a crawl. Anyone else getting anything like that?

Comment

Originally posted by jojo7887 View Post

I used to use make deb-pkg but its not working for me, complains it's not a git repo. How does bindeb-pkg differ?

No idea why they made such changes, was fine for years as it was.
              Theodore Tso was not happy about it either.

bindeb-pkg only builds binary packages. deb-pkg does source as well. bindeb is faster.

I would just clone again at https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...ble/linux.git/

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Theodore Tso was not happy about it either.

bindeb-pkg only builds binary packages. deb-pkg does source as well. bindeb is faster.

I would just clone again at https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...ble/linux.git/

Hello,

Can confirm bindeb-pkg works. It seems this option does the same thing as deb-pkg but doesn't pack up the source folder which as you pointed out is faster.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
                  I seem to be getting some nasty performance regressions. Having ~40 tabs open (don't judge me…) in luakit slows the entire system to a crawl. Anyone else getting anything like that?
                  Turns out the system slowdown was coming from a ton of coredumps being generated due to ~40 instances of luajit (on which luakit depends) running out of memory. The root cause was luajit being compiled without the GC64 option, meaning its memory allocation was restricted to 32-bit address space. I don't understand why upgrading to Linux 6.3 made the situation so much worse though…

EDIT: The problem is this: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/[email protected]/
                  As reintroduced here: https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230414...49bce8963b545e
                  Last edited by PluMGMK; 29 April 2023, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X