Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts RDNA3+ Firmware Files For Linux Users

Phoronix: AMD Posts RDNA3+ Firmware Files For Linux Users

This weekend AMD upstreamed a number of new AMDGPU firmware files into the linux-firmware.git repository that serves as a basis for all of the binary firmware/microcode files used by the Linux kernel drivers. This big set of new AMDGPU firmware files is likely for the upcoming RDNA 3.5 / "RDNA3 refresh" / RDNA3+ as it appears will be called updated RDNA3 graphics for upcoming AMD Ryzen SoCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really hope AMD takes the time to properly resolve the kernel performance regression which causes stuttering in a lot of games including Cyberpunk 2077:
    Last edited by Kjell; 22 April 2024, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
      Really hope AMD takes the time to resolve the kernel performance regression which causes stuttering in a lot of games including Cyberpunk 2077:
      hearing stuff like this makes me think I should just stick with nvidia, especially with explicit sync support coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post

hearing stuff like this makes me think I should just stick with nvidia, especially with explicit sync support coming.
        Neither is perfect

I switched my RTX 3080 Ti against Radeon 6800 XT and I'm really happy. Just recently upgraded to the Radeon 7900 XT which should speak volumes (coming from ex life long NVIDIA user)
        Last edited by Kjell; 21 April 2024, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I used to think that too,and one day NVidia stopped releasing (timely) updates to the driver supporting my card. Resulting in me being stuck on a specific kernel.
          Never again will I use anything with out of tree drivers, especially binary ones...

Comment

so very nice to see firmware pushed ahead of launch, strix, kraken and co may be the first time a new part gets actual day 1 support

Comment

Nvidia never had any bugs at all? Very impressive

Comment

AMD rocks. Great quality drivers currently for older gens.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                  Really hope AMD takes the time to resolve the kernel performance regression which causes stuttering in a lot of games including Cyberpunk 2077:
                  Until the issue above is solved there is a temporary workaround, namely setting the environment variable "radv_zero_vram=false". And it works perfectly fine so far. You can continue to use your amd gpu without drawbacks. So i really wonder about that alarmism of yours making it sound like it was some unsolvable problem or something.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Bahr View Post
                    "radv_zero_vram=false"
                    Heads up

Memory has to be cleaned somewhere to not break games as explained by the developers in the discussion of workaround 1 link

Originally posted by M.Bahr View Post
                    i really wonder about that alarmism of yours​
                    Simply bringing more attention..

This issue has been stale for a very long time and the current patches aren't equal to original performance. Given they've recently been added to amdgpu git, it looks like they're planning to roll them out in this state soon
                    Last edited by Kjell; 21 April 2024, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X