Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kioxia KCD8XPUG1T92 CD8P-R & KCMYXVUG3T20 CM7-V PCIe 5.0 SSDs

Phoronix: Kioxia KCD8XPUG1T92 CD8P-R & KCMYXVUG3T20 CM7-V PCIe 5.0 SSDs

While there is a growing number of PCIe 5.0 consumer NVMe SSDs available through Internet retailers, when it comes to PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD data center / enterprise grade solid-state drives there aren't as many yet and even for announced ones they have been relatively in short supply. In preparing for some upcoming Ubuntu 24.04 LTS tests and ahead of next-gen servers arriving, I was recently searching for some new PCIe 5.0 data center solid state drives. Arriving so far are the Kioxia KCD8XPUG1T92 CD8P-R and Kioxia KCMYXVUG3T20 CM7-V PCIe 5 SSDs. Here are a few benchmarks of those drives for those curious about the performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a lot of horsepower

Now the interesting question is seeing which filesystem is the fastest with a modern NVME SSD and up to date kernel

Comment

I really wish some of those enterprise connectivity options become more main stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        That's a lot of horsepower

Now the interesting question is seeing which filesystem is the fastest with a modern NVME SSD and up to date kernel
        I will have some fresh filesystem benchmarks on a consumer SSD PCIe 5 drive soon on Linux 6.9. Due to only having these two PCIe 5 enterprise SSDs so far, they will be busy in servers doing server workloads.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I know there are some growing concerns with longevity on SSD drive data and data cells, especially on QLC drives. Any thoughts about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I will have some fresh filesystem benchmarks on a consumer SSD PCIe 5 drive soon on Linux 6.9. Due to only having these two PCIe 5 enterprise SSDs so far, they will be busy in servers doing server workloads.
            Michael , can you add some optane disk to the mix?

Comment

WOW that sounds like pure hell in acquiring them Michael! Glad you were able to procure them. Thanks for going through hell to get us the best benchmarks and news though!

Comment

PCIe SIG increasing their tempo may be all well and good. Perhaps it was even necessary and will get manufacturers to move faster. But from here it looks like by the time PCIe 7 is ratified, PCIe 6 devices will be rare as hen's teeth. When PCIe 8 is ratified, PCIe 7 devices simply won't exist. How far behind will things fall, and will it turn PCIe development into a farce? If you say you ratified a standard, but no one can implement even the previous version in production, how can you know that the standard is worthy?

Comment

I don't understand why M.2 is still used when U.2 exists. That stupid angled way to insert it is also laughably designed. WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    I don't understand why M.2 is still used when U.2 exists. That stupid angled way to insert it is also laughably designed. WTF?
                    it's because m.2 is good enough, is smaller and doesn't require 12v, and the angled insert is perfect for the small nvme drives.

Comment

Working...
                    X