Fwupd 1.9.17 Adds Firmware Updating For ASUS DC201 & Realtek RTS541x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd 1.9.17 Adds Firmware Updating For ASUS DC201 & Realtek RTS541x

Phoronix: Fwupd 1.9.17 Adds Firmware Updating For ASUS DC201 & Realtek RTS541x

Richard Hughes of Red Hat has announced the released of Fwupd 1.9.17, the newest update to this open-source solution for system and device firmware updating under Linux that is paired with the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) for a streamlined user experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LVFS / fwupd are awesome. I do need to create an issue when I get a chance. For some reason it isn't picking up an available update for the HP Z840 workstation (and likely the Z440/Z640). But I was able to just grab it off the LVFS site and install it manually.

​​​​​​
    Code:
     fwupdmgr install foo.cab

Comment

I do wonder though, why does a USB hub with network port need firmware updates? CPUs I get, maybe even drives like SSDs and HDDs, but why does this item need firmware updates?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        I do wonder though, why does a USB hub with network port need firmware updates? CPUs I get, maybe even drives like SSDs and HDDs, but why does this item need firmware updates?
        Because these controllers are actually MCU's and they may need their firmware to update.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          It's a dock, not just a simple USB hub.

Comment

Given the low price of some of the items that can be updated by fwupd, I wonder why many, if not most consumer (notebook) PCs are still wedded to (often) Windows-only firmware updaters.Is this an area where governments need to step in and mandate open, standard, update-ability, much like mandating USB-C charging for phones?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
              Given the low price of some of the items that can be updated by fwupd, I wonder why many, if not most consumer (notebook) PCs are still wedded to (often) Windows-only firmware updaters.Is this an area where governments need to step in and mandate open, standard, update-ability, much like mandating USB-C charging for phones?
              They should but you will hear some knee jerk reactionaries protesting that too

Comment

Working...
              X