Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Laptop Platform Profile Patches Being Worked On For Linux

Phoronix: Dell Laptop Platform Profile Patches Being Worked On For Linux

A patch recently posted to the Linux kernel mailing list is working on implementing ACPI Platform Profile support for modern Dell laptops to allow users to have more control over their balanced / cool / quiet / performance behavior of the laptop and its resulting impact on the fan noise / cooling performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems to be from an independent contributor. Where is Dell? I thought they were suppose to fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Seems to be from an independent contributor. Where is Dell? I thought they were suppose to fix this.
      How do you know Dell is not employing them as contractors?

Comment

I'm trying this out RN against 6.8.9; they don't seem to break anything, at least, but I need to get more into it.

Comment

Just bought an Alienware Laptop 1 week ago and disappointed alot when i see platform profile mentioned nowhere in the both alienware and dell wmi module source code. Now happens this, normally im like the unluckiest person in the world but this time god has surprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Dell silently cancelled their Linux based laptop line up. So, don't expect any Linux work coming from Dell themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Dell silently cancelled their Linux-based laptop line up. So, don't expect any Linux work coming from Dell themselves.
              I think they still have a few uber-expensive professional laptops at a minimum with Ubuntu. I'd still recommend looking for a different company for Linux computing laptops, such as Framework or System76. I like Dell but they need to support more of their machines IMO.

Comment

Working...
              X