No announcement yet.

Mozilla's Llamafile 0.8.2 Scores Big With New AVX2 Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Llamafile 0.8.2 Scores Big With New AVX2 Performance Optimizations

Phoronix: Mozilla's Llamafile 0.8.2 Scores Big With New AVX2 Performance Optimizations

One of the interesting innovations out of Mozilla Ocho as the browser company's innovation and experiments group is Llamafile, a easy way to distribute and run AI large language models (LLMs) from a single file. Out this evening is Llamafile 0.8.2 is the newest release with an updated Llama.cpp and most excitingly are some AVX2 performance optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

mozilla will do literally anything but make firefox better then chrome despite having some real low hanging fruits they could take.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      mozilla will do literally anything but make firefox better then chrome despite having some real low hanging fruits they could take.
      Talk is cheap. Show me the code

Comment

Originally posted by swastika View Post
        Talk is cheap. Show me the code
        pay me and I will.

Comment

pay me and I will.
          Show me a single PR you have filed in any open source project with real code and we can talk.

Comment

Show me a single PR you have filed in any open source project with real code and we can talk.
            that would be more work then what mozilla is willing to put into firefox. I never understood why people will still defend mozilla when they beg for donations and still refuse to implement features other people have put the work into.

You say "show me the code" why? firefox won't do anything with it. This https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D119700 PR is part of a series that was made in 2021. These series of patches make JXL completely usable in firefox. Proper progressive decoding, animation, color management etc. and firefox's response was and I quote (highlighting mine for emphasis)

I think we'll prioritize AVIF for now, so right now we are not actively investing in this, given that we have limited resource.
            This is an attempt to pretend that the people can contribute to firefox. we can't. we cannot add the features we want to firefox, they will be rejected, even if the feature is extending something already inside of firefox, that is locked behind nightly.

EDIT: this is the same issue with image-rs when me and eugenevert tried to get jpeg-xl decoding into image-rs, it was rejected outright.

Comment

that would be more work
              Nah, a single PR link isn't more work. That's just a BS excuse.

Comment

Nah, a single PR link isn't more work. That's just a BS excuse.
                That's literally the point. it doesn't matter what my skill level is, firefox will not accept PRs for the things I'm talking about like JXL. asking for a PR of mine it is a really dumb attempt to deflect away from the fact that mozilla is refusing to implement low hanging fruit features.

Comment

it doesn't matter what my skill level is
                  It sure does because you offered to do the work if you got paid. Where is the PR link to show me you are capable of doing the work?

Comment

It sure does because you offered to do the work if you got paid. Where is the PR link to show me you are capable of doing the work?
                    it's not hard to rebase and merge a couple patches... if you need a link to a PR to prove you know how to "rebase and merge" thats fucking sad lmao, well regardless, I have some simple stuff under my name on github I guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X