SteamOS 3.6 Preview Released With Linux 6.5, Updated Arch Linux & Mesa 24.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS 3.6 Preview Released With Linux 6.5, Updated Arch Linux & Mesa 24.1

Phoronix: SteamOS 3.6 Preview Released With Linux 6.5, Updated Arch Linux & Mesa 24.1

Valve tonight released a SteamOS 3.6 Preview as the latest version of their Arch Linux derived operating system that powers the Steam Deck and can be installed on other devices as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    With the SteeamOS 3.6 Preview,

Comment

now makes use of the Linux 6.5 LTS kernel
      6.5 is not LTS, 6.6 is...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Valve tonight released a SteamOS 3.6 Preview as the latest version of their Arch Linux derived operating system that powers the Steam Deck and can be installed on other devices as well.​
        I have not been totally paying attention but is this the first general availability of SteamOS 3.x? I mean, not HoloISO or anything else?

Valve will be making installer ISOs and so forth now?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

I have not been totally paying attention but is this the first general availability of SteamOS 3.x? I mean, not HoloISO or anything else?

Valve will be making installer ISOs and so forth now?
          I don't actually know where Michael is getting this part from? Currently, the bits and pieces of SteamOS are being used by other distros to create new spins, such as Bazzite and HoloISO, but this announcement doesn't mention anything about other devices.

Mayby he is thinking about those other distros?

Comment

I just checked Bazzite and imo it just makes Valve's Steam OS unexciting. First, many components in Steam OS are outdated, like kernel 6.5, Bazzite comes with Nvidia drivers preinstalled, it also offers 2 iso - one with Gnome and another with KDE and has other stuff that doesn't come with SteamOS.
            After checking their front page, I don't understand how can anyone still be excited about SteamOS becoming generally available for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
              I just checked Bazzite and imo it just makes Valve's Steam OS unexciting. First, many components in Steam OS are outdated, like kernel 6.5, Bazzite comes with Nvidia drivers preinstalled, it also offers 2 iso - one with Gnome and another with KDE and has other stuff that doesn't come with SteamOS.
              After checking their front page, I don't understand how can anyone still be excited about SteamOS becoming generally available for everyone.
              When (If) SteamOS gets a general release it will for sure support Nvidia, it would be very strange if not. The other points makes sense though. I also don't understand how they could pick 6.5 when it doesn't get any support at all from upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

I also don't understand how they could pick 6.5 when it doesn't get any support at all from upstream.
                LTS or not does not make a difference for SteamOS. The previous 6.1 kernel is LTS, but they still are at 6.1.52 (upstream is as 6.1.90), so they didn't make use of it being LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Lysius View Post

LTS or not does not make a difference for SteamOS. The previous 6.1 kernel is LTS, but they still are at 6.1.52 (upstream is as 6.1.90), so they didn't make use of it being LTS.
                  I'm more leaning towards them keeping up with mainline, 6.8. It's a gaming machine after all.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                    This is kind of my feeling in general, with the exception of handhelds. I think that the SteamDeck unique overlay features are invaluable and the main draw of SteamOS, and things like the ROG Ally would be much improved by these. In general, though, I think wanting SteamOS on a desktop or a laptop is pointless. Even just for a gaming machine, any general purpose distro will do.

Comment

Working...
                    X