R600 Gallium3D Gets More Fixes, Experimental SB Tessellation Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600 Gallium3D Gets More Fixes, Experimental SB Tessellation Support

Phoronix: R600 Gallium3D Gets More Fixes, Experimental SB Tessellation Support

If you are still running with a pre-GCN AMD graphics card, a number of R600 Gallium3D commits landed in Mesa Git over night as well as an interesting patch series on the Mesa mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's good to see old hardware getting some love!

Comment

Broduhs, David Airlie knows de whey.

Comment

Are there any plans to get this to OpenGL 4.5? It appears to miss only 3 items, most notably the robustness support. Hopefully, not a whole lot of work.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
          Are there any plans to get this to OpenGL 4.5? It appears to miss only 3 items, most notably the robustness support. Hopefully, not a whole lot of work.
          Did any of the R600 class cards support GL4.5 officially? It would be super cool if the OSS drivers supported it when the official drivers never did.

Comment

Some aplications (and wine games) simply refuse to wrok if I go with anzthing over 3.3 Core profile, but if I use compatibility profile for 4.x (not sure what I've tried) they do not crash, worst part is no terminal output at all (in non-debug mode).

So, I doubt that driver is ready for 4.x regardless of soft FP64 for those GPU's, to be honest I did not test it with 17.4, bu with 17.3.x, but acording to the commits support is present in there (not officialy ofc.).

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
              The driver should already expose ARB_robustness. So you'd be looking at ARB_enhanced_layouts and ARB_query_buffer_object which are missing. Not sure about the former, the latter should be doable but it's not quite trivial. (Basically similar to how radeonsi handles it I suppose - you'd need a compute shader which does the subtraction of the end-start value for the counted pixels and sum them together from all render backends.)
              Albeit I'm not sure if there isn't additional stuff missing from glsl 4.40 or 4.50.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                Some aplications (and wine games) simply refuse to wrok if I go with anzthing over 3.3 Core profile, but if I use compatibility profile for 4.x (not sure what I've tried) they do not crash, worst part is no terminal output at all (in non-debug mode).
                Any games in particular? I might own them and can compare results.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
                  Any games in particular? I might own them and can compare results.
                  Sure, Trackmania United Forever (if you do not own, you can attempt TM Nations Forever, it is the same engine, same behaviour). I did try with OpenGL 4.3 instant crash, attempting OGL 4.1 (i think) compat would start it. Also, genymotion and similar layers over virtual box would crash instantly, that is on HD 6770, not sure what's your GPU, but it would be interesting if same happens to you or not.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

So, I doubt that driver is ready for 4.x regardless of soft FP64 for those GPU's, to be honest I did not test it with 17.4, bu with 17.3.x, but acording to the commits support is present in there (not officialy ofc.).
                    GL4.3 bits aren't in 17.3.so not surprising games crash if you try that. GL4.1 should be there though.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                    X