Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Once Again Aiming To Improve Ubuntu's Boot Speed

Phoronix: Canonical Once Again Aiming To Improve Ubuntu's Boot Speed

Nearly a decade ago Canonical/Ubuntu developers had a goal of a 10 second boot time. They made good on that for their netbook focus at the time, but in the years since their boot time has slowed down and we haven't seen any concerted effort on improving their boot speed again...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

'I never reboot my system so why should I care and I also hate systemd...' incoming in 3...2...1...

Comment

I'm on 17.10 and they've kept true to their promise. Though I of course welcome more improvement.

Code:
      $ systemd-analyze time
      Startup finished in 6.942s (kernel) + 2.112s (userspace) = 9.054s

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        'I never reboot my system so why should I care and I also hate systemd...' incoming in 3...2...1...
        = "I have a shiny new machine and I want all poor people and those who don't care about upgrading every year to suffer as much as possible."

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

= "I have a shiny new machine and I want all poor people and those who don't care about upgrading every year to suffer as much as possible."
          I want to build a new machine, but those gpu prices and ram prices have screwed that idea..... f*** cryptominers ruining hardware prices!

Comment

qwerty@qwerty-Inspiron-3520:~$ systemd-analyze time
            Startup finished in 3.552s (firmware) + 11.844s (loader) + 11.026s (kernel) + 20min 26.784s (userspace) = 20min 53.207s
            Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            I'm on 17.10 and they've kept true to their promise. Though I of course welcome more improvement.

Code:
            $ systemd-analyze time
            Startup finished in 6.942s (kernel) + 2.112s (userspace) = 9.054s
            LOL, on my system:

Code:
            $ systemd-analyze time
            Startup finished in 3.552s (firmware) + 11.844s (loader) + 11.026s (kernel) + 20min 26.784s (userspace) = 20min 53.207s

Comment

Other ubuntu flavors seem to boot reasonably fast since they are mostly Debian. Xubuntu on my phenom II 945 with an ssd boots to the login screen 4 seconds after the bios. Not bad for a 10 year old machine. Hdd light stays solid during boot, not sure how they plan on improving that.

Comment

This is something that Linux really should excel at, even windows boots pretty fast these days (on shiny new machines).

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                  I just want them to leave my Intel microcode alone. They're reverting everyone back to 7/7/2017 today. Looks like I'm going to have to do a:
                  sudo apt-mark hold intel-microcode

To keep the mitigated microcode from 1/8/2018

apt-cache show intel-microcode
                  Version: 3.20180108.0+really20170707ubuntu17.10.1
                  Version: 3.20180108.0~ubuntu17.10.1
                  Version: 3.20170707.1
                  Noticed that too. Side note, do you know if today's kernel update (4.13.0-31) contains retpoline support? I'm not seeing it in the changelog but thought they mentioned that was being released today.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    You don't need to do it, just install newest Intel microcode, these have unintended sudden reboot feature implemented

Comment

Working...
                    X