Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 Offers Wayland In Tech Preview Form

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 Offers Wayland In Tech Preview Form

With today's debut of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 Beta they have made Wayland support available in tech preview form...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just when is a RHEL 8.0 beta launching. By my calculations they're really, really late. As the 7.0 beta took around 6 months, the best case scenario is that RHEL 8 is released 4 years after RHEL 7. I know they have their reasons, but that's a LONG time. Especially compared to Ubuntu and Debian's 2 year release cycle.
    I know they cater more to Enterprises, but the startups and younger companies of this world (who all run on AWS) are very unlikely to pick a 3.5 year old RHEL over a more recent Ubuntu 16.04 or Debian 9.
    I think a big piece of this is that many developers use Ubuntu locally. This makes it easy to use Ubuntu on the server. Very few developers use RHEL 7, or even Fedora compared to Ubuntu. As a Red Hat fan, I do wish they'd make a more cost effective up to date RHEL workstation. I'm sure that would help with their server adoption.

Comment

It’s crazy that kexec wasn’t supported until now. Windows 10 also has a warm reboot option like kexec.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
        a Red Hat fan, I do wish they'd make a more cost effective up to date RHEL workstation. I'm sure that would help with their server adoption.
        While the core is indeed older it has an up to date GNOME 3.26 desktop, which is far newer than Ubuntu 16.04 and the same as Ubuntu 17.10.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
          Just when is a RHEL 8.0 beta launching. By my calculations they're really, really late. As the 7.0 beta took around 6 months, the best case scenario is that RHEL 8 is released 4 years after RHEL 7. I know they have their reasons, but that's a LONG time. Especially compared to Ubuntu and Debian's 2 year release cycle.
          I know they cater more to Enterprises, but the startups and younger companies of this world (who all run on AWS) are very unlikely to pick a 3.5 year old RHEL over a more recent Ubuntu 16.04 or Debian 9.
          I think a big piece of this is that many developers use Ubuntu locally. This makes it easy to use Ubuntu on the server. Very few developers use RHEL 7, or even Fedora compared to Ubuntu. As a Red Hat fan, I do wish they'd make a more cost effective up to date RHEL workstation. I'm sure that would help with their server adoption.
          Red Hat has been doing updates to major desktop components, like Gnome and Mesa, on a yearly cadence in order to keep up with the workstation market.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post

While the core is indeed older it has an up to date GNOME 3.26 desktop, which is far newer than Ubuntu 16.04 and the same as Ubuntu 17.10.
            How is gnome and gtk useful to workstations? Movie studios and game companies use Qt. Autodesk ,The foundry , Sidefx ,Epic games , Crytek etc. Pixar just released their universal scene descriptor software. Does it use gtk? nope.

Wetadigital uses kubuntu. Go look at their career section and you'll see QT EVERYWHERE.

Red Hat is to old to keep up with the workstation market and Fedora to new. Mesa is not even certified workstation drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

How is gnome and gtk useful to workstations? Movie studios and game companies use Qt. Autodesk ,The foundry , Sidefx ,Epic games , Crytek etc. Pixar just released their universal scene descriptor software. Does it use gtk? nope.

Wetadigital uses kubuntu. Go look at their career section and you'll see QT EVERYWHERE.

Red Hat is to old to keep up with the workstation market and Fedora to new. Mesa is not even certified workstation drivers.
              I am guessing Wetadigital must have changed after Gnome-Shell was released, because I took screenshots of the documentaries around the making of Lord of the Rings, and I was fairly certain they were using older Gnome 2 desktops then. but yeah a lot of professional apps are written using Qt. I think that's because it seems to be easier to port and has better support for Windows/Mac over GTK.

Comment

Working...
              X