Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The CSD Initiative Is Pushing For Apps To Abandon Title Bars In Favor Of Header Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CSD Initiative Is Pushing For Apps To Abandon Title Bars In Favor Of Header Bars

Phoronix: The CSD Initiative Is Pushing For Apps To Abandon Title Bars In Favor Of Header Bars

GNOME developer Tobias Bernard has announced "The CSD Initiative" in a push for more applications to support client-side decorations and as part of that to abandon boring title bars in favor of modern header bars...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish I could say I don't like CSD at all because I feel it may bring more inconsistency... (I may be wrong)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 26 January 2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

What do you gain by re-messing everything every 3 or 5 years? Is it because folks only have the horrible 16:9 vision-slits and not enough room between the borders for the actual content?
      And why do so many programs features such tiny tiny scollbars? Just because it's modern? Or because people are only capable of swiping gestures these days? Or ribbon design in MS products, anyone? Crippled desktop search? Fat, fancy, colourful buttons with icons nobody can guess the meaning of?

I want to work. I want to be productive with my programs but I really doubt most "innovations" of the last 5 years in interface design brought really positive results. :/
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Great, so people with window managers that can hide the title bars completely to regain that screen space (and that includes Gnome 3 with the Pixel Saver extension for example) can't do that anymore because of those three buttons put there to make it "useful"...

Comment

Gnome people commenting/suggesting design/UI/UX solutions. Sadly there is only one way to this. Please fuck off.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
            Great, so people with window managers that can hide the title bars completely to regain that screen space (and that includes Gnome 3 with the Pixel Saver extension for example) can't do that anymore because of those three buttons put there to make it "useful"...
            Not really, because with CSD, the idea is to also put the "Cancel" and "OK" buttons in the top bar, so it will use the same space than without the title bar.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Gnome people commenting/suggesting design/UI/UX solutions. Sadly there is only one way to this. Please fuck off.
              I like CSD, but I don't like Gnome3. The Gnome people tend to make shitty decisions from good ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: The CSD Initiative Is Pushing For Apps To Abandon Title Bars In Favor Of Header Bars

GNOME developer Tobias Bernard has announced "The CSD Initiative" in a push for more applications to support client-side decorations and as part of that to abandon boring title bars in favor of modern header bars...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...CSD-Initiative
                I would love if the entire industry would adopt the SUGD Initiative (Stop Using Gnome Desktop) because honestly they will not stop until absolutely no one likes them.

Comment

CSD are the greatest evil to beset civilization in our time.

Or, at least, they're a regressive step in the personal computer human-machine interface.

Comment

I have no issue with people not liking Gnome. We get it, you hate it, and you've every right to, it's a very divisive DE. The beauty of Linux is you can just use something else, it's kind of a running joke how ridiculous it is that there are so many DEs/WMs on Linux.

Personally I like Gnome, I like that there's a company that puts out software that doesn't feel like it's designed by committee. Gnome feels like the racehorse to KDEs camel. They have a singular vision to push forward their idea for their ideal desktop. They favour simplicity over customizability. That's not a drawback, it's a design decision. I like that I can install Gnome on Arch and it looks and feels great out of the box.

I want to love KDE, I want to have the time to learn i3, I want XFCE not to suck, but none of these things are the case. Gnome works for me, it's appropriate for my workflow and it appeals to what I want from a Linux desktop.

Comment

Working...
                    X