Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Still Working On DTrace For Linux In 2018

Phoronix: Oracle Still Working On DTrace For Linux In 2018

A decade ago Linux users were clamoring for Sun Microsystems to bring Solaris' DTrace and ZFS to Linux. While there are still petitions for Oracle to more liberally license ZFS so it could see mainline Linux support, it's been years since hearing much interest in DTrace for Linux. Over time other dynamic tracing implementations have come about and improved in comparison to DTrace, but for those still wanting this dynamic tracing framework that originated at Sun Microsystems, Oracle remains working on the Linux port...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oracle's Melted-Down Enterprise Kernel 4.1

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      Oracle's Melted-Down Enterprise Kernel 4.1
      Yeah what the hell, that thing is ancient.

Comment

I'm not sure if Oracle is more or less likeable than Nvidia to me, but I think they're almost on par with each other...

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          I'm not sure if Oracle is more or less likeable than Nvidia to me, but I think they're almost on par with each other...
          Oh, no way is that a close contest. Annoying as it might be that Nvidia don't provide open-source drivers for their hardware, they provide a pretty good closed one, and they've been doing it for a very long time. By contrast, Oracle are basically the evil bastards of the IT industry... they've stepped enthusiastically into the "most hated" role previously occupied by Microsoft, and deservedly so as anyone who works with any of their products can attest.

Comment

While there are still petitions for Oracle to more liberally license ZFS so it could see mainline Linux support
            oracle doesn't have a linux version of zfs (or at least not publicly), and whether its oracle zfs or openzfs, the cddl is a reasonable license. linus and gpl are being unreasonable by demanding all kernel modules have to be gpl or suffer by being out of tree and being a source of "taint".

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post

oracle doesn't have a linux version of zfs (or at least not publicly), and whether its oracle zfs or openzfs, the cddl is a reasonable license. linus and gpl are being unreasonable by demanding all kernel modules have to be gpl or suffer by being out of tree and being a source of "taint".
              It's not about whether Linus is being reasonable... it's simply that the terms of the GPLv2 are what they are, and have been since long before CDDL existed. The GPL is a legal contract, and copyright holders can't simply ignore breaches of that contract. To fix the conflict would require changing the license of either Linux or ZFS – and certainly the former is never going to happen, given the number of people that would be required to sign off on it.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post

Kernel modules don't have to be GPL, in fact most of them are under the BSD license or dual GPL/BSD. They can be under any GPL compatible license and Sun made sure CDDL will not be one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                  Nope, Oracle is a clear winner in the "less likeable contest".

NVIDIA is a normal corporation that cares only about money, but is overall playing by the rules and using their own tech and resources to get where they are now.

Omnomnomnomracle is an EVIL corporation that only cares about money and will try to bend the rules on anything and everything for the sake of making a quick buck, while not pulling their own weight as much as possible (i.e. buying out other companies for the sake of suing or just milking dying markets where they have monopoly in, and "opensourcing" aka dumping anything that isn't significantly profitable from the start)

Comment

Working...
                  X