Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Cannonlake Graphics Should Be In Good Shape With Linux 4.17

Phoronix: Intel Cannonlake Graphics Should Be In Good Shape With Linux 4.17

Intel's next-generation Cannonlake processors with "Gen 10" graphics will be considered good to go with the next kernel cycle, Linux 4.17. The alpha/preliminary hardware support flag is being removed for these CPUs expected later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess Intel gen10 graphics wont bring much improvements over gen9 just as it did not bring much improvements over gen8 which did not bring much improvements over gen7.
    Intel gen7 graphics was pretty cool, but since then not much has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I guess Intel gen10 graphics wont bring much improvements over gen9 just as it did not bring much improvements over gen8 which did not bring much improvements over gen7.
      Intel gen7 graphics was pretty cool, but since then not much has happened.
      You keep repeating this nonsense, even though you've been told already that it is just that - nonsense.

Architecturally, gen7 and gen8 are *extremely* different. And while advancements may have been more incremental since then, there's still differences between gen8 and gen9.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        You keep repeating this nonsense, even though you've been told already that it is just that - nonsense.

Architecturally, gen7 and gen8 are *extremely* different. And while advancements may have been more incremental since then, there's still differences between gen8 and gen9.
        Ok. But consumers don't care about change. They care about improvement. We've seen for many years now, change with no tangible improvement. The real world performance gains have been in the low single digit percentages (at best) from one generation to the next. Regardless of what has changed behind the scenes, this is a fairly disappointing result.

Compare with AMD who has made significant improvement in their Radeon/Vega iGPU in recent years, to where they now compete with entry level discrete GPU's even.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 22 February 2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          The real world performance gains have been in the low single digit percentages (at best) from one generation to the next. Regardless of what has changed behind the scenes, this is a fairly disappointing result.

Compare with AMD who has made significant improvement in their Radeon/Vega iGPU in recent years, to where they now compete with entry level discrete GPU's even.
          Intel's GPU performance might be underwhelming, but currently they provide the only GPUs with open source drivers for Linux users that are stable enough for serious workplace use. As much as I would have liked to replace my current Intel-based notebook with a Zen/Vega based one, I don't see this as a realistic scenario for the forseeable future - I need a system that does not crash every other day.

Comment

Working...
          X