Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGMDE: The Example Mir Desktop Environment

Phoronix: EGMDE: The Example Mir Desktop Environment

We've known that Mir developers have been trying to get a Mir example desktop session going in time for Ubuntu 18.04. More details on that are now coming to light as we meet the EGMDE desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tichun
    I keep wondering why do you even cover mir or anything related to it..
    Because it's part of the Linux graphics scene, which I cover extensively and is one of the main focuses of Phoronix.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Can't wait for Mate to get this compositor!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Because it's part of the Linux graphics scene, which I cover extensively and is one of the main focuses of Phoronix.
        Which is appreciated too btw - knowing what is going on is always nice, even if I do not use it day to day

Comment

I still am not sure what positive effect or offering mir has (if any) for the graphics ecosystem.

My immediate conclusion is that if it fractured the space even more it would only serve to do harm.

I guess at least I don't anticipate Mir to be used in any serious capacity, so I guess that is comforting.

Linux is already fractured enough.

Comment

Mir is no longer fragmenting anything, any more than SDL fractured X11. It's now just an alternate API to use Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              I still am not sure what positive effect or offering mir has (if any) for the graphics ecosystem.

My immediate conclusion is that if it fractured the space even more it would only serve to do harm.

I guess at least I don't anticipate Mir to be used in any serious capacity, so I guess that is comforting.

Linux is already fractured enough.
              As I explained to you elsewhere in response to your "ELI5" request, Mir (acting as a Wayland-compliant compositor on various distributions) may be helpful to smaller DE development groups that may lack the resources to develop their own Wayland complaint compositors (and can't rely on Mutter or KWin).

So, with the above in mind, in what way does Mir fracture the Linux graphics ecosystem?

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post
                may be helpful to smaller DE development groups that may lack the resources to develop their own Wayland complaint compositors (and can't rely on Mutter or KWin).
                libweston? Using it you can write Wayland compositor without dealing with low level code. So why small DE can't use libweston to develop own compositor?

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                  libweston? Using it you can write Wayland compositor without dealing with low level code. So why small DE can't use libweston to develop own compositor?
                  Why can't they? Or why don't they?

At least as of now, smaller DE development groups that may lack the resources to develop their own Wayland complaint compositor don't use libweston. So even if libweston could be used, apparently libweston doesn't, at present, offer the features that those developers want.

Hopefully, when finished, Mir will offer a generalized solution that will be easier for DE devs to apply.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Because libweston is nothing like Miral and still forces developers to write a lot of code themselves. Miral has way more, higher level abstractions.

Comment

Working...
                    X