Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput 1.10.4 Makes Touchpads A Bit Snappier

Phoronix: Libinput 1.10.4 Makes Touchpads A Bit Snappier

Libinput 1.10.14 is now available and while it's just a point release, there is at least one change sure to catch your attention...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When I transitioned from a Samsung NP535 to a Thinkpad T430, the small touchpad of the Lenovo was distracting. It seems to always run out of space. But I changed the speed of the pointer and I even ask myself why today's laptops have a need for such big touchpads. It is that good.

I can see why people are so afraid to loose responsiveness when migrating to Libinput. Synaptics does such a nice job that is hard to swallow the idea of loosing it for another software with worse functionality.

Comment

Philosophically, libinput has gone the way of GNOME, i.e. the developers think they know better than the users. They refuse to expose configuration options because, and I'm guessing here, they want to simplify or streamline usage and development (by not dealing with 100s of custom configurations). And that is understandable. But the proof is in the pudding and the synaptics driver simply works correctly OOTB, while the libinput driver is still being constantly tweaked behind the scenes and leading to subpar performance. Meanwhile the users that are perturbed by it can't do anything but sit and twiddle their fingers or (most likely) just reinstall the synaptics driver and synclient. The libpinput developers have lost my faith to make the best decisions concerning my hardware. Give us the flexibility to fix/tweak the software because it is quite obvious at this point that the libpinput devs are incapable of shipping a "it just works" solution.

Comment

Yikes, just installed Kubuntu 18.04 and not only touch-to-click is disabled by default, but the Libinput driver almost cannot be configured by KDE's touchpad app. The sensibility was so high that after touching the surface, the thing was still detecting my fingers about 5 mm high off the touchpad.

Installing the Synaptics driver did bring things back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
          ... Meanwhile the users that are perturbed by it can't do anything but sit and twiddle their fingers or (most likely) just reinstall the synaptics driver and synclient. The libpinput developers have lost my faith to make the best decisions concerning my hardware. Give us the flexibility to fix/tweak the software because it is quite obvious at this point that the libpinput devs are incapable of shipping a "it just works" solution.
          How about contacting the main maintainer of both libinput and synaptics and provide your input?
          What is the specification of your hardware?
          Please read more about libinput and synaptics from the same author: http://who-t.blogspot.ca/search?q=Synaptics

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            why today's laptops have a need for such big touchpads
            Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
              How about contacting the main maintainer of both libinput and synaptics and provide your input?
              What is the specification of your hardware?
              Please read more about libinput and synaptics from the same author: http://who-t.blogspot.ca/search?q=Synaptics
              Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
              The libpinput developers have lost my faith to make the best decisions concerning my hardware. Give us the flexibility to fix/tweak the software because it is quite obvious at this point that the libpinput devs are incapable of shipping a "it just works" solution.
              http://who-t.blogspot.nl/2016/12/xf8...synaptics.html
              The top 10 contributors since August 2008 when the first renamed version of xf86-input-synaptics was released are:
              8 Simon Thum
              10 Hans de Goede
              10 Magnus Kessler
              13 Alexandr Shadchin
              15 Christoph Brill
              18 Daniel Stone
              18 Henrik Rydberg
              39 Gaetan Nadon
              50 Chase Douglas
              396 Peter Hutterer

The other reason I included the commit count in the above: I'm also the main author of libinput. So "the synaptics developers" and "the libinput developers" are effectively the same person, i.e. me. Keep that in mind when you read random comments on the interwebs, it makes it easier to identify people just talking out of their behind.

Posted by Peter Hutterer at 8:47 AM
              ROFLMAO

Comment

Working...
              X