Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.15 & Weston 4.0 Officially Released

Phoronix: Wayland 1.15 & Weston 4.0 Officially Released

Today marks the long-awaited debut of Wayland 1.15 and the Weston 4.0 reference compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I'm wondering with Wayland is when it will get a protocol extension to notify clients of fractional scaling factors. KDE is still stuck with only 2x scaling on Wayland and Gnome is using what is effectively a hack to get fractional scalars (do the 2x scaling and then downscale it to a fraction).

Comment

How many man-hours does it take a distro to properly update wayland from 1.14 to 1.15 ?

Comment

Is it easy to update by developer

Comment

Can I unistall X

Comment

Originally posted by dlocklear01 View Post
            Can I unistall X
            Of course you can. It's just a matter of

Code:
            # apt-get remove x11-common x11-utils x11-apps
            for Debian and other Debian based distros...

Comment

How many man-hours does it take a distro to properly update wayland from 1.14 to 1.15 ?
              I'm not a distro packager, but I would assume that in most cases it depends on the amount of testers. If there are 20 testers and they all report back with no or little issues (which I expect, as the Wayland team has already solved most, if not all, major bugs before releasing the final version of 1.15) that can be solved quickly, then the upgrade will be pushed to the stable repositories of distro xyz in very short time. But if there are less testers (or there's an exceptional case where there are more regressions than initially assumed), then it will take some more time to ensure the upgrade is going to go well.

Comment

It's in Fedora 28 already, so 48 hours, max?

Comment

Small typo:
                  Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  […]living in mesa[…]
                  Should be Mesa.

Comment

Working...
                  X