Broadcom VC5 Driver Making Good Progress With Using AMDGPU's DRM Scheduler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadcom VC5 Driver Making Good Progress With Using AMDGPU's DRM Scheduler

Phoronix: Broadcom VC5 Driver Making Good Progress With Using AMDGPU's DRM Scheduler

Last month I wrote about Broadcom's Eric Anholt exploring the use of AMDGPU's DRM scheduler within the in-development Video Core V (VC5) DRM driver. That work has panned out and looks like it will eventually work out for this open-source Broadcom graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

101th article about VC5 driver progression. Hmm, just one question, WHERE IS THE ******* HARDWARE?! What's the point write again and again about hardware no one has?

Comment

Originally posted by Ilfirin View Post
      101th article about VC5 driver progression. Hmm, just one question, WHERE IS THE ******* HARDWARE?! What's the point write again and again about hardware no one has?
      I am interested.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'm very interested as well. Especially if that hardware ends up in the Raspberry or some other platform as open as the RPI. So I guess it's a good thing Michael is sharing such news whenever they are available.

Comment

Probably to people be aknowledged how most of the work happens before hardware happened.

But i tend to agree with you on one point, as one could work on driver just in simulator but actual hardware clones might be even canceled so to never happen and all these Cold War alike propaganda news to have just recycle bin value

What to say, be free to take this as a grain of salt if you want until hardware is really there
          Last edited by dungeon; 10 April 2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

By that logic also articles about the newest stuff from Intel and AMD (that is yet to appear on sale) should not be published either.

WHY THESE *********** DOUBLE STANDARDS?! /sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
              I'm very interested as well. Especially if that hardware ends up in the Raspberry or some other platform as open as the RPI. So I guess it's a good thing Michael is sharing such news whenever they are available.
              RPI is not nearly as "open" as you think it is.. It has the biggest community support, sure, but otherwise many things are still hidden behind the closed, huge GPU firmware blob..

Comment

Originally posted by Elyotna View Post

RPI is not nearly as "open" as you think it is.. It has the biggest community support, sure, but otherwise many things are still hidden behind the closed, huge GPU firmware blob..
                I already know that, and that's why we need this work (both on VC4 and VC5) to reach a good enough level of features and stability to begin replacing the blobs installed in the RPI. Also I believe that the Raspberry foundation is actually trying to reach that point and hopefully they'll succeed. If you know of any other similar platform more open, I would love to check it out.

Comment

You know, the frequency of posts correlates quite strongly with the personal preferences of Phoronix principal author. LLVM, Vulkan, Wayland, AMDGPU, VC, ...

Comment

Working...
                  X