Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetBSD 8.0 RC1 Available, Bringing Initial USB 3.0 Support & Spectre/Meltdown Mitigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD 8.0 RC1 Available, Bringing Initial USB 3.0 Support & Spectre/Meltdown Mitigation

Phoronix: NetBSD 8.0 RC1 Available, Bringing Initial USB 3.0 Support & Spectre/Meltdown Mitigation

It's a busy month for the BSDs with DragonFlyBSD 5.2 having come along with OpenBSD 6.3 and right before that was TrueOS 18.03. Now there's finally the release candidate of the long-awaited NetBSD 8.0 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Waste of effort that otherwise could be used in other more relevant opensource developmen such as linux or freebsd. NetBSD is just not relevant anymore or even alive.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
      Waste of effort that otherwise could be used in other more relevant opensource developmen such as linux or freebsd. NetBSD is just not relevant anymore or even alive.
      Even though I am a hardcore Linux fan, netBSD does support a bunch of really obscure stuff nothing else (worthwhile!) does

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post

Even though I am a hardcore Linux fan, netBSD does support a bunch of really obscure stuff nothing else (worthwhile!) does
        nothing against that.. just it realy lost its perspective, which I am sad for, coz I used it for some years and was very happy with it.

Comment

deantNNetBSD have improved a lot these past year.. You might wanna revisit it.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post

nothing against that.. just it realy lost its perspective, which I am sad for, coz I used it for some years and was very happy with it.
            I think NetBSD has another thing going for it: it's simple and easy to get into. Linux has grown to be a hugely complex beast that a computer science student won't understand and hack on in a matter of a couple of weeks or as a hobby, but NetBSD is very good for that. In a sense it's the new Minix, where people can easily learn stuff, experiment with it and get some hands-on experience with real world OS development.

Comment

Working...
            X