Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gets Support For Enhanced Quality Anti-Aliasing

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gets Support For Enhanced Quality Anti-Aliasing

The RadeonSI Gallium3D driver now has patches available for Enhanced Quality Anti-Aliasing (EQAA) that is also known as Flexible MSAA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sounds nice, might test it

Comment

Is this available on Windows? I can't seem to find an option for it in the AMD driver settings GUI. Maybe I am just blind.

Comment

A thing I find infuriating about some other sites doing benchmarks, is applying 8x AA on 4K resolutions, then declaring there is no card capable of 4k gaming @ 60fps.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
          Is this available on Windows? I can't seem to find an option for it in the AMD driver settings GUI. Maybe I am just blind.
          It's present since ATi Radeon X-series.

Comment

Not compatible with modern deferred rendering engines just like plain MSAA of course...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              A thing I find infuriating about some other sites doing benchmarks, is applying 8x AA on 4K resolutions, then declaring there is no card capable of 4k gaming @ 60fps.
              Yeah, AA has always been a very expensive task and plenty of people are fine with it reduced, or off. Being a Linux user, I'm kind of used to not having functioning AA. For the most part the jaggies are easy to ignore after a half hour of playing the game. Though, there are a handful of games where I needed it because visibility was difficult without it (in particular, sunny outdoor scenes with leafless trees).

People tend to forget the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox days and earlier, where we played games at 640x480 (or lower), no AA, on crappy CRT displays, and people were fine with it. Today if you fire up one of these older systems (including the TV), at first it feels like your vision is compromised, but it doesn't take that long until you're totally used to it and are able to play the game just fine. Your brain does a pretty good job at adding in the details where they don't actually exist.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                People tend to forget the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox days and earlier, where we played games at 640x480 (or lower), no AA, on crappy CRT displays, and people were fine with it. Today if you fire up one of these older systems (including the TV), at first it feels like your vision is compromised, but it doesn't take that long until you're totally used to it and are able to play the game just fine. Your brain does a pretty good job at adding in the details where they don't actually exist.
                *nod* Gameplay is king. Hell, my main source of 3D entertainment these days is hooking my old N64 games and my N64 controller with replacement analog stick into my Retrode. (Aside from the reduction in jaggies, it resolves the "I haven't had time to diagnose my N64's reset problem" issue.)

Comment

Nice! Is it forced for older games that don't provide AA when variable is set?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    Most of the time such things happen because card makers themselves pressure "influencers" to do it, in order to sell more expensive hardware. Any chimpatzee with half a brain could understand that MSAA4x/8x is utterly useless at 4K and is not worth the performance cost for such a tiny improvement, while you can use shader based AA solutions and be done with it, or if you have a relatively small 4K screen, no AA at all...

Hell, in some games, i don't see any difference with MSAA even at 1080p...

Comment

Working...
                    X