Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.10 Planning For GCC 8.1, OpenJDK 11, Python 3.7

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.10 Planning For GCC 8.1, OpenJDK 11, Python 3.7

With Mark Shuttleworth yesterday having announced the Cosmic Cuttlefish, the development cycle for Ubuntu 18.10 is formally open...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While this may be good news for thousands of Ubuntu enthusiast, there are dozens of other distros that already have some of these features
    or at least have them available for testing. I love SparkyLinux. It is my favorite Debian-based distro. I think to many sites like Phoronix emphasize too much about the popular distros, and from my perspective, the distros with small-teams are more attentive to their user-base. Of course the drawback, is they offer a limited product. For example, now SparkyLinux only has 2 official flavors. And Korora now only offers a new image on even-number Fedora releases. And it will be a while maybe months before Korora 28 hits the web. One reviewer on YouTube who is very popular stated "Lubuntu 18.04 offers nothing new." So after 2 years of development, from his perspective, there is nothing worth discussing.

Comment

Mark Shuttleworth was a Debian maintainer. He decided to build Ubuntu and make some money along the path.
      I don't see the difference with other minor distros. They only do repackaging labour with many more bugs unsolved.
      If at least any of those distros provided an automated system for QA then we would be into something.

Comment

Working...
      X