Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Developers Collaborating With Sway On Wayland Support

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Developers Collaborating With Sway On Wayland Support

A KDE Plasma development sprint recently happened in Berlin. One of the most interesting takeaways out of that event was the collaboration with the lead Sway developer, the increasingly popular i3-compatible Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sway developer? Hmm, is this moron who called users: "
    Well, fuck you, too. Nvidia users are shitty consumers and I don’t even want them in my userbase.
    "? If yes. Well Im not blame him for lack support nvidia graphics driver in his shity sway but I blame him for malicious treatment of users. In the past, when someone asked "hey what card to buy for Linux or to play on Linux". People answered taking NVIDIA. Now that AMD is getting better in this field, this fool puts NVidia users in one bag and calls them shitty customers ... omg. FU sway develper. In my opinion he not deserve to work with kde devs. I hope he get kick in ass from kde devs.
    Last edited by xpris; 14 May 2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
      Sway developer? Hmm, is this moron who called users: ""? If yes. Well Im not blame him for lack support nvidia graphics driver in his shity sway but I blame him for malicious treatment of users. In the past, when someone asked "hey what card to buy for Linux or to play on Linux". People answered taking NVIDIA. Now that AMD is getting better in this field, this fool puts NVidia users in one bag and calls them shitty customers ... omg. FU sway develper. In my opinion he not deserve to work with kde devs. I hope he get kick in ass from kde devs.
      To be fair, it was only Nvidia proprietary driver users affected, the issue wasn't with Sway but with wlc from what I remember, and a lot of users were pestering him to support something which no other project wanted to. The fault was with Nvidia and then wlc for not supporting Nvidia's crap, not Sway.

edit: Context of xpris's quote: https://sircmpwn.github.io/2017/10/2...ou-nvidia.html
      It explains that EGLStreams won't be supported in Sway/wlroots 1.0 and why.
      Last edited by Ouroboros; 14 May 2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

As someone who only upgrades hardware when it dies (aside from the occasional hard drive purchase), who is on a GeForce GTX750 because AMD's performance on a multi-monitor setup wasn't sufficient at the time my GT430 died, and who places great value in civility, this ad hominem attack really lowered my impression of Sway and TrueCraft. (Another sircmpwn project which I have high hopes for.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post

To be fair, it was only Nvidia proprietary driver users affected, the issue wasn't with Sway but with wlc from what I remember, and a lot of users were pestering him to support something which no other project wanted to. The fault was with Nvidia and then wlc for not supporting Nvidia's crap, not Sway.

edit: Context of xpris's quote: https://sircmpwn.github.io/2017/10/2...ou-nvidia.html
          It explains that EGLStreams won't be supported in Sway/wlroots 1.0 and why.
          "Choose hardware that supports your software, not the other way around.

Buy AMD. Nvidia– fuck you!" -Drew . Amd supports windows better... in fact the Amd gpu open compressornator software works with wsl, but hey you got wayland should be axed soon it's a year older than btrfs.

Comment

Sway developer? Hmm, is this moron who called users: ""? If yes. Well Im not blame him for lack support nvidia graphics driver in his shity sway but I blame him for malicious treatment of users. In the past, when someone asked "hey what card to buy for Linux or to play on Linux". People answered taking NVIDIA. Now that AMD is getting better in this field, this fool puts NVidia users in one bag and calls them shitty customers ... omg. FU sway develper. In my opinion he not deserve to work with kde devs. I hope he get kick in ass from kde devs.
            Put things in context a bit.
            proprietary driver users have the gall to reward Nvidia for their behavior by giving them hundreds of dollars for their GPUs, then come to me and ask me to deal with their bullshit for free.
            He's not on Nvidia's support team, if he really gets annoyed by Nvidia users about that so much, it's understanding that he's frustrated with them.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              As someone who only upgrades hardware when it dies (aside from the occasional hard drive purchase), who is on a GeForce GTX750 because AMD's performance on a multi-monitor setup wasn't sufficient at the time my GT430 died, and who places great value in civility, this ad hominem attack really lowered my impression of Sway and TrueCraft. (Another sircmpwn project which I have high hopes for.)
              Stop being so butthurt.

I did the same thing, switched to the 750ti when my 4850 card was slow and fan was getting way too loud.
              Until nvidia fixes their new allocation, just run i3 on your desktop. I have been running sway on my laptop with intel graphics, the i3 config file is almost completely compatible with the sway config so no need to reconfigure your setup. No need to be pissed at the OSS developers who are in a shitty situation.

Comment

Really looking forward for a Wayland extension for video recording based on pipewire.

Comment

It would be preferable to have i3wm on wayland, but this is fine too.

Comment

And users sponsoring with big bucks, NVidia shitty attitude toward opens source GPU drivers developement.

Comment

Working...
                    X