Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Igalia Continues Working On Wayland & Accelerated Media Decode In Chromium On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Igalia Continues Working On Wayland & Accelerated Media Decode In Chromium On Linux

Phoronix: Igalia Continues Working On Wayland & Accelerated Media Decode In Chromium On Linux

Months ago we had reported on Igalia's efforts for improving hardware video/media acceleration on the Chromium browser stack for Linux and getting Chromium ready for Wayland but it's been relatively quiet since then with no status updates. Fortunately, a Phoronix reader pointed to a fresh round of ongoing work in this space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

debianxfce here, have your fish.

@topic: does somebody know how V4L2 VDA relates to VAAPI etc?

Comment

There is this patchset since June 2017 to support vaapi on chrome ; but it has been passed around Google/Ubuntu/Intel employees, and there does not seem to be any real interest to get it merged... That's a shame, looks dead now

https://chromium-review.googlesource...m/src/+/532294
      Last edited by sheepdestroyer; 26 May 2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
        There is this patchset since June 2017 to support vaapi on chrome ; but it has been passed around Google/Ubuntu/Intel employees, and there does not seem to be any real interest to get it merged... That's a shame, looks dead now

I have gotten the feeling Chromium devs see *all* Linux GPU driver stacks as hit or miss and don't like to give any GPU-acceleration enablements to end users since they're terrified that it would flood their bug trackers. No wonder they don't want to integrate another Linux-only GPU decoding API support

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post

Well. I think, they not have time to fix it. After months of silence they back and push another patch and again build is fail and again months of silence.
          So I think, sooner or later they upstream it but first they need first merge it and for now patch is marked as "merge conflict".

Comment

What great timing - Xorg server 1.20 has been causing me problems with Chromium in XWayland. I had to downgrade to 1.19 so it'd be useful again (oddly, it seems Xwayland 1.20 doesn't have any problems).

Any AUR contributors out there planning on making an entry for this? I don't care if I have to build it myself, I just want Chromium to work natively in Wayland. The current "chromium-wayland" package is very outdated.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 26 May 2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I wish them good luck. Having chromium working on wayland and with vaapi would be really nice. Also it would motivate smaller projects to work on wayaland support too.

Comment

I do not know if it has anything to do with it, but with the latest versions of Chromium I no longer need to enable hardware acceleration in the flags.
                I enabled it to not have problems with tearing, but now it is no longer necessary, but I refer to the Xorg session.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                  I do not know if it has anything to do with it, but with the latest versions of Chromium I no longer need to enable hardware acceleration in the flags.
                  I enabled it to not have problems with tearing, but now it is no longer necessary, but I refer to the Xorg session.
                  What do you mean, by 'I no longer need to enable...' ? Are your videos accelerated or not? Check in 'about:media-internals'

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                    @topic: does somebody know how V4L2 VDA relates to VAAPI etc?
                    It doesn't. It's a completely separate thing. Used mainly in the ARM world. The open source graphics stack for the Raspberry Pi will use v4l2 for hardware decoding (the closed stack uses either MMAL or OpenMax).
                    Last edited by Gusar; 26 May 2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X