Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Confirms Their Discrete GPU Plans For 2020

Phoronix: Intel Confirms Their Discrete GPU Plans For 2020

We've been expecting Intel to get back into the discrete GPU game especially after Raja Koduri joined the company last year while today Intel tweeted they will be delivering their dGPU in 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rip amd

Comment

It will be funny to have AMD CPU + Intel GPU. Full reverse to my current setup

Comment

Uhoh. I wonder, I wonder. I wonder many things. Is Koduri using AMD-internal IP to bring intel's CPUs forward? Or is there some inofficial "deal" (an acquiescence between AMD + intel) anyway? Will those GPUs be capable more for computing or gaming? And will they be dongled to some management engine? Have all the restriction management stuff on it (DRM is usually intel's idea! HDCP, TCPA, it's all grown on intel's crap!)? Will there be a free driver that is not somehow obfuscatin things?

Though I guess I'll stay with AMD anyway.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Has Intel actually committed to open source the drivers for this new GPU?

Comment

The i740 wasn't as much a failure as people make it out to be. It was actually quite a decent video card for its time with very good image quality compared to some of its competition. It didn't sell all that well, but performance was on par with the Riva 128 and it was cheap. The only problem was that it didn't stand out, so there wasn't any real reason for people to go for one instead of the more popular choices.

Comment

If the drivers remain open, this will be great for the open-source community. I am quite happy to trade a little bit of speed for correctness.

"We've been expecting Intel to get back into the discrete GPU game"

Does this mean that they have done this before? Can anyone point me towards their previous discrete offering? I can't seem to find anything. Except for the Xeon Phi which you can probably get some sort of OpenGL equivalent going.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                The i740 wasn't as much a failure as people make it out to be. It was actually quite a decent video card for its time with very good image quality compared to some of its competition. It didn't sell all that well, but performance was on par with the Riva 128 and it was cheap. The only problem was that it didn't stand out, so there wasn't any real reason for people to go for one instead of the more popular choices.
                The biggest issue with the 740 was the RIVA TNT came out right after it did. Moving texture data via system memory made it slower than a Voodoo3 PCI card. People then asked why AGP?

I would think the lack of complementary IP would be their biggest impediment to developing anything "new". The fact they are touting a new GPU by 2020 seems weird as these things have lead times longer than 2 years. This would mean they had "something" in the pipeline before they brought over Ravi from AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  If the drivers remain open, this will be great for the open-source community. I am quite happy to trade a little bit of speed for correctness.

"We've been expecting Intel to get back into the discrete GPU game"

Does this mean that they have done this before? Can anyone point me towards their previous discrete offering? I can't seem to find anything. Except for the Xeon Phi which you can probably get some sort of OpenGL equivalent going.
                  As mentioned in the article, they had the i740 back in the day and then the canned Larrabee.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    The fact they are touting a new GPU by 2020 seems weird as these things have lead times longer than 2 years. This would mean they had "something" in the pipeline before they brought over Ravi from AMD.
                    Well, they do make GPUs already, so it's not like they're starting completely from scratch. Just slapping a huge bunch of their current GPU execution units on a dedicated card and adding a few gigs of GDDR would produce something nice already.

Edit: Also, "Ravi"? Have you been watching too much iZombie? . Raja Koduri is the one Intel poached for AMD.
                    Last edited by Gusar; 12 June 2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X