Intel Posts Linux Graphics Driver Patches For Whiskey Lake, Amber Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Posts Linux Graphics Driver Patches For Whiskey Lake, Amber Lake

Phoronix: Intel Posts Linux Graphics Driver Patches For Whiskey Lake, Amber Lake

Intel open-source developers today posted the set of patches for adding support for upcoming Whiskey Lake and Amber Lake processors for the Linux kernel's Direct Rendering Manager driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo...:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    A**** Lake will find its way into tablets/2-in-1s/converticles in the months ahead and are a minor step up over Kabylake Y.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      converticles
      Interesting. I found no such word (looks like a spell-checker autocorrect, so I thought maybe...), but it did lead me to find this:

http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Di...ry=conventicle

Perhaps covert LUG meetings, in the early 2000's, inside the bowels of MS' Redmond offices could be characterized as such.

Comment

Next iteration of Skylake... What a joke. Only to present a 'new' generation.

Comment

The 2018 car is the same as the 2017 car, get the pitchforks out!

Who cares. This happens with phone SoCs too.
          For the Whiskey Lake, here's your 8-core Coffee Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
            Who cares. This happens with phone SoCs too.
            No it doesn't, most high-end SoC manufacturers are using TSMC which have already released 10nm chips (which is why Cannonlake is delayed, the Intel fabs don't have good enough yield for 10nm yet). 10nm was initially planned for 2016 at the Intel fabs and they were earlier than TSMC with 14nm, so they are really catching up. Hell, it almost seems like Global Foundries might achieve 10nm before Intel currently which is insane.

Comment

I don't think both 10 nm processes are directly comparable... Intel's seems to be more ambitious...

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                No it doesn't, most high-end SoC manufacturers are using TSMC which have already released 10nm chips (which is why Cannonlake is delayed, the Intel fabs don't have good enough yield for 10nm yet). 10nm was initially planned for 2016 at the Intel fabs and they were earlier than TSMC with 14nm, so they are really catching up. Hell, it almost seems like Global Foundries might achieve 10nm before Intel currently which is insane.
                TSMC's 10nm is like Intel's 14nm.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  TSMC's 10nm is like Intel's 14nm.
                  I wonder why intel is struggling so much with 10nm? Everyone is skipping to 7nm production? Maybe intel see's why they need to go for 10nm before 7nm? 7nm may pose even greater difficulty and possible manufacturing ooopses? Perhaps 7nm is too quick and fast of a jump? I say take their time. Even an old core 2 duo is nice and snappy it seems and I am running Kaby right now. Wonder how long this i7 will keep up in the future.
                  Last edited by creative; 16 June 2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

10 nm as name of the manufactoring process has nothing to do with transistor size - its just marketing. The number doesn't matter. And again: processes are not comparable by marketing structure size between manufacturers!

Intel decided to do 10 nm without EUV lithography as far as I remember and has struggled with its yield rate for years. It will work eventually, but it was an expensive decision.

Comment

Working...
                    X