No announcement yet.

Firefox 62.0 Beta Brings CSS Variable Fonts, "Clear Site Data & Cookies" Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 62.0 Beta Brings CSS Variable Fonts, "Clear Site Data & Cookies" Option

Phoronix: Firefox 62.0 Beta Brings CSS Variable Fonts, "Clear Site Data & Cookies" Option

Following yesterday's release of Firefox 61, Mozilla pumped Firefox 62 into the beta channel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm surprised the "Clear Site Data & Cookies" feature wasn't implemented like... 10 years ago. Seems kinda obvious to me.
    Also, I don't understand the point of implementing their own TTS. Every modern OS has TTS options - why can't they just reference those externally? Just seems like unnecessary bloat.

Comment

I just hope they will make the button ask you if you want one or the other or both ...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Also, I don't understand the point of implementing their own TTS. Every modern OS has TTS options - why can't they just reference those externally? Just seems like unnecessary bloat.
        The article said they are enabling their TTS API, not about implementing any custom engine of their own.
        Their TTS API might just be a wrapper that uses the underlying TTS engine on the platform it runs on.

Comment

It also enables WebRender, which is hard to notice: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1432515

Switching it on is a bit convoluted though. I had to use env variable for that:

Code:
          MOZ_WEBRENDER=1
          Setting these in about:config alone didn't work:

Code:
          gfx.webrender.all.qualified = false
          gfx.webrender.enabled = true

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
            I just hope they will make the button ask you if you want one or the other or both ...
            I just want a hamburger button that brings me an actual cheeseburger to my desk for me.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              It also enables WebRender, which is hard to notice: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1432515
              It doesn't enable WebRender, it just includes it and it is disabled by default. They will start experimentally enabling it on Nightly for the first target group (Win10+Nvidia) next month. `gfx.webrender.all.qualified;true` only enables WebRender if on such qualified hardware, `gfx.webrender.{all,enabled}` only work on Nightly and as you found out, flipping the env variable allows circumventing the qualified hardware check and is only meant for the continuous integration tests. Details
              Last edited by johnp117; 27 June 2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnp117 View Post
                It doesn't enable WebRender, it just includes it and it is disabled by default.
                Enables in the build. I said above, that you need to turn it on at runtime.

Originally posted by johnp117 View Post
                `gfx.webrender.all.qualified;true` only enables WebRender if on such qualified hardware, `gfx.webrender.{all,enabled}` only work on Nightly and as you found out, flipping the env variable allows circumventing the qualified hardware check and is only meant for the continuous integration tests. Details
                Is there any way to enable it in beta without using the environment variable?
                Last edited by shmerl; 27 June 2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

It will also enable the TLS API, useful for re-enabling extension like CipherFox and SSLeuth:
                  RESOLVED (mixedpuppy) in WebExtensions - Request Handling. Last updated 2022-07-07.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I'm surprised the "Clear Site Data & Cookies" feature wasn't implemented like... 10 years ago. Seems kinda obvious to me.
                    It's always been under the "Clear Recent History" option.

Comment

Working...
                    X