Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Use Of Systemd Portable Services

Phoronix: Making Use Of Systemd Portable Services

With last week's release of systemd 239 one of the key new features is the introduction of Portable Services. Systemd Portable Services is a new concept that is akin to Linux containers while at this stage is considered still a preview/experimental feature...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just wait for the systemd maintainers to start making the life of all other container software maintainers miserable, e.g. by trying to monopolize on the use of relevant kernel resources. They won't stop adding unrelated stuff to systemd until they can ship a distribution solely consisting of one big systemd blob.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      Just wait for the systemd maintainers to start making the life of all other container software maintainers miserable, e.g. by trying to monopolize on the use of relevant kernel resources. They won't stop adding unrelated stuff to systemd until they can ship a distribution solely consisting of one big systemd blob.
      Damn, there is still people in 2018 that thinks systemd is a single blob and not a project composed by around 80-ish separate daemons or tools.

Comment

Yeah you guys have been saying this for years now, still waiting for any of your predictions to kick in.

Comment

Terrible, isn't it. Almost as bad as those damn C compiler developers who want to monopolise all the CPU resources and won't stop until everyone starts writing programs in high level languages and not in assembly.

Comment

If you're gonna criticise the wretchedness that is systemd, at least get the facts right.

Systemd is monolithic, with modularity built in at build-time (depending on your distro, your shipped config may differ greatly) and while it consists of separate binaries it makes the cardinal error of creating init into both the root PID and the process supervisor. While there's certainly architectural considerations here, the main issue I have with it is that race conditions in the process supervisor affect init. And anyone can tell you a privileged root process being compromised is a bad idea. To be fair, there's not a lot of ways to solve this easily, so I can't be too hard on them.

Regarding this new feature, while I think it's cool, I also think it's getting to the point that we have enough different types of containers/sandboxing in Linux to make it a liability to have so many different implementations running around.

For the record, I'm not what I'd consider a Linux or BSD fanboy. I use both equally, and I'm not about to unfairly rag on one or the other. systemd has done some good for the community, namely getting rid of bad sysvrc implementations (sysvinit itself wasn't really an issue other than its lack of support for dependency tracking/parallel startup). And the system-logind/udev shims have made rootless X relatively non-cumbersome.

I use Linux Mint as one of my three desktop OSes, so I live with systemd every day. When it works, it works good. When it doesn't work, it can be a bitch to track it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior
              @Michael: Could you please delete this post and the user?
              This embarrassing behaviour shouldn't be tolerated here.

Comment

Originally posted by cruelj View Post

@Michael: Could you please delete this post and the user?
                This embarrassing behaviour shouldn't be tolerated here.
                One of those censorship types are we? I see nothing embarrassing there, just someone's opinion on certain events with a certain person, a certain person that is largely hated may I add. And with good reason!

Comment

Pathetic meme wishing the death of somebody they don't like.

The Left can't meme!

Comment

Originally posted by ptyerman View Post

One of those censorship types are we? I see nothing embarrassing there, just someone's opinion on certain events with a certain person, a certain person that is largely hated may I add. And with good reason!
                    Hardly censorship given the amount of daily trollfests we have on this site, whether on the subject of systemd or many others. However I agree that this should be deleted and the user blocked, because:

1. Wishing for someone's death and calling him "garbage" is AT BEST juvenile, kindergarten behaviour that does not belong among adults. At worst, it is actual incitement to crime, which is, you know, a jail offence in every country I know of.

2. Polluting the forum with a several pages-high, moronic compilation of expletives, vulgarity, babyish "cartoons" and doodles is, I guess, not what one would typically call being civil, considerate and a respectable netizen.

3. Mario Junior's "contribution" has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to the subject at hand, which is presumably still Portable Services. It should be noted that to the extent it's actually relevant to anything at all, it's not even really relevant to systemd as such: the EFI interface issue was/is a kernel problem.

If Mario Junior struggles to control his anger or his pathological hatred towards Poettering, maybe a psychiatrist could help him in that regard. But then again, if the worst he can muster in his Terrrrrrible Rage(tm) is to deliberately spell Poettering's name wrongly, ha ha ha, then I don't know if anyone will give a flick about what he has to say.

Comment

Working...
                    X