Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 3.12 Brings More Glyphs To The Wingdings Font

Phoronix: Wine 3.12 Brings More Glyphs To The Wingdings Font

The belated Wine 3.12 development release is now available for testing, the first release following WineConf 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This wine version show more work with quartz, devenum and amstream

And DXVK works ok

Last edited by pinguinpc; 09 July 2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Wine 3.13 updates the Unicode data against the recent Unicode 11.0 release.
      While I appreciate your attempt to predict the future, that's already part of 3.12

Comment

This is news-worthy? This is Wine's priority? When will they fix all the things that worked in 2.x but broke in 3.x? Every year I'm more and more disappointed with this project.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
          This is news-worthy? This is Wine's priority? When will they fix all the things that worked in 2.x but broke in 3.x? Every year I'm more and more disappointed with this project.
          Such as? File a bug since that's considered a regression. If it already exists, then link it so I can see what you're talking about. The fix may not be easy at all. If it's really that important for you, you can always use the old version until it's fixed, or help contribute (if you know how) and fix it yourself, which is very welcome.

There have been 40 bugs identified as fixed also, which I'm sure some people cared about. Just because you don't care about them doesn't mean they are of less importance.

There's been WineConf and such, so most were pretty busy with other things than just code. Pace should go back now that it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            Such as? File a bug since that's considered a regression. If it already exists, then link it so I can see what you're talking about. The fix may not be easy at all. If it's really that important for you, you can always use the old version until it's fixed, or help contribute (if you know how) and fix it yourself, which is very welcome.

There have been 40 bugs identified as fixed also, which I'm sure some people cared about. Just because you don't care about them doesn't mean they are of less importance.

There's been WineConf and such, so most were pretty busy with other things than just code. Pace should go back now that it's over.
            Such as this: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...sion&iId=21465
            The game has a golden rating in 2.16, but in 3.whatever it's just garbage and rightfully so - https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44987
            Not to mention, it's been 8 years since Wine could reliably play League of Bellends.
            Edit: Also, it's been 4 years since Fallout 4 was released and still, the game cannot be fully enjoyed. It took 2 years to get their DirectX11 patches to finally work, but now they are struggling with X3DAudio. This prevents the game from having sound outside of cinematics. There are bug reports for this, but Wine is clearly not interested in fixing them. Maybe we'll get to play Fallout 4 on Wine in year 2040 when they add all the wingdings. Why do they even bother with things like Winebrowser? It doesn't work and it steals .png association from other programs.
            Last edited by rmoog; 10 July 2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post

Such as this: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...sion&iId=21465
              The game has a golden rating in 2.16, but in 3.whatever it's just garbage and rightfully so - https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44987
              Not to mention, it's been 8 years since Wine could reliably play League of Bellends.
              This sounds like a pretty low level bug and it seems to happen only on the nvidia blob? (which makes it hard to debug) It could be a bug in the driver that's only been exposed with later Wine versions, you know. So it might not even be Wine's fault.

Does removing the executable bit from the wine-preloader make it work? It's a suggested workaround.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                This sounds like a pretty low level bug and it seems to happen only on the nvidia blob? (which makes it hard to debug) It could be a bug in the driver that's only been exposed with later Wine versions, you know. So it might not even be Wine's fault.

Does removing the executable bit from the wine-preloader make it work? It's a suggested workaround.
                It's not exclusive to nVidia blob. It happens on AMDGPU as well. I haven't reported on this, because I don't believe in Wine's commitment to fixing bugs anymore. I'll try your suggestion in the afternoon.

Comment

Also, not a Civ5 player myself and while it probably have its uses for mods etc., seeing the game has a Linux port, it's most likely of less priority compared to games/software you don can't even try to use natively.

Comment

To anyone who complains about the Wine project, remember these things:
                    1.) The project is severely understaffed.
                    2.) They are trying to basically re-implement Windows on-top of Linux
                    3.) They are chasing a moving target, as they implement something, Windows itself changes API's and now they have to implement those in such a way to not ruin what they already have.
                    4.) A large portion of the Wine developers have other jobs to do besides work on Wine and fix bugs. The *only* full-time Wine developers are the ones who get paid by Codeweavers to help build Crossover and send their patches upstream to Wine.

If you want every game or program that Windows has to work 100% on Wine, the same as it does on Windows, I suggest you find a way to gain several million dollars, and hire a few top Wine contributers to work for you full time and fix the problems that Wine has(Assuming you want to pay 10 developers, $100,000 per year, and it will take 5 years to re-implement a complete Windows 7 compatible Wine version, you will need at least $5 million. Although, Windows 7 is quite large, it might take more developers and/or more than 5 years.)

Comment

Working...
                    X