Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wineSHOCK: The Automated Direct3D Game Benchmarks On Wine

Phoronix: wineSHOCK: The Automated Direct3D Game Benchmarks On Wine

Given Valve's now public Steam Play for Linux using the Wine-derived Proton and their ongoing relationship with Code Weavers to improve the experience for Windows games on Linux, it perhaps adds better context why this summer for GSoC there was the automated Direct3D game benchmarking work with mentorship by a CodeWeavers developer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"wineSHOCK" sounds like the name of a security vulnerability. When I saw it I thought:

oh no... some clever bastard has just found a new way to take over my system if I simply install wine.

Benchmarks are good though! All is OK...

... for now!

Comment

Thanks to all this Proton stuff, I managed to ditch my Windows partition entirely in my gaming PC, and I've also installed Wine on one of my own PCs for the first time in what must be 8 years (I have Wine installed on my work PC to run MS Office but that's about it).

Comment

Proton kind of reminds me of TransGaming's Cedega project. I remember at the time, before they shut it all down, they were doing some pretty interesting stuff. Too bad it was almost all proprietary... never to really benefiting the open source community and hence future Wine projects.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
          "wineSHOCK" sounds like the name of a security vulnerability. When I saw it I thought:

oh no... some clever bastard has just found a new way to take over my system if I simply install wine.

... for now!
          Lol! You're so right.

Comment

It rhymes too much with shellshock.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

... for now!
              It's probably supposed to meant that it will shock people with how good windows stuff runs on Linux or something.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                It rhymes too much with shellshock.
                Bioshock.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  It's probably supposed to meant that it will shock people with how good windows stuff runs on Linux or something.
                  That would make sense.

Comment

So is Proton now better than Wine-Staging? Is there a way to install it instead of Wine without Steam or Play-On-Linux?

Comment

Working...
                    X