Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarks Of The 24-Core ARM Socionext 96Boards Developerbox

Phoronix: Benchmarks Of The 24-Core ARM Socionext 96Boards Developerbox

Announced last October was a 24-core ARM developer box being worked on by Linaro/96Boards, Socionext, and Gigabyte. The specifications are appealing with twenty-four ARM 64-bit cores with the SoC on a micro-ATX sized motherboard, support for a PCI Express graphics slot, and onboard Gigabit Ethernet. Here are our first benchmarks of this Socionext 96Boards Developerbox.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It could be interesting if it cost 12 USD, not 1200

Comment

Performance per Watt seems be the only viable metric for ARM, too bad due to HW being remotely tested, it's not available.

Comment

Obligatory comment from oiaohm about RISC-V superiority and massive performance here.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
          Performance per Watt seems be the only viable metric for ARM
          One of their newer 1u 5w racks is designed with real time 32streams x 4kp60 media transcoding: https://www.socionext.com/en/products/assp/SC2A11/ https://www.socionext.com/en/product...loud-solution/

You'll need a few 1200$ Threadrippers / i9 / GPUs and a whole lot in utility bills to cover that much. So, it's Performance per Watt per Dollar depending on the SoC. Though the one here (SC2A11) might be a little limited, it should be appropriate if you have a lot of security cams streaming to a remote server or something of the sorts.
          Last edited by c117152; 29 August 2018, 04:24 PM. Reason: I screwed the early post with a bad copy-paste and wrong facts.

Comment

Bwaha, here come the "desktop performance" ARM chips! I mean, it's just ridiculous How could anyone take these promises seriously. The only bigger gimmick is the ARM servers lol. Most laughable concept ever.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              Bwaha, here come the "desktop performance" ARM chips! I mean, it's just ridiculous How could anyone take these promises seriously. The only bigger gimmick is the ARM servers lol. Most laughable concept ever.
              You should realise that this chip has power envelope of an Atom chip. It uses five watts not sixty like those Core i processors (and the Ryzen) it was compared with. It is hardly a representative of ARM in the category of desktop PC processors.

I'm just saying that you can't draw such conclusions from this comparison. It's not apples to apples so to speak.

Comment

Server is actually the only use I see for such a system and the results look very promising for that. If the whole system under load only takes < 15 Watts, think about that. The NVME is already taking in a third of that when busy. In the server business power usage is cost factor #1. This could be a really great web server. It is great for serving concurrent requests and it comes with the needed IO capacity. Or as a proxy, this news is a bit old but might be a surprise for you: https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/...center-network

There is much more than HPC in the server market.

Comment

These are low end cores even for a cell phone.
                  If you're not just trolling, you're reading too much into this.

Comment

Not bad for a developers box. I sometimes think people mis the point of developers boxes They are for software development. As for the poor processor performance the cores are rather old, this is not a new processor implementation. What would be really interesting is to see a pin compatible chip come out based on AArch64 or what ever is the latest at the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X