Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32-bit PTI For Mitigating Meltdown Is Causing Problems With Early Linux 4.19 Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32-bit PTI For Mitigating Meltdown Is Causing Problems With Early Linux 4.19 Builds

Phoronix: 32-bit PTI For Mitigating Meltdown Is Causing Problems With Early Linux 4.19 Builds

If you tend to routinely ride the latest Linux Git code and are still using 32-bit (x86) hardware, you may want to watch out for problems around the new Kernel Page Table Isolation (K/PTI) functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel

INTEL

Do you fear to name Intel?

This site is primarily supported by advertisements
    Once you stop using "click-bait" -- we'll stop using "AdBlock".

Me reading RSS:
    * Linux 4.18 Is Appearing To Cause Problems For Those Running Older CPU
    * 32-bit PTI For Mitigating Meltdown Is Causing Problems With Early Linux 4.19 Builds
    Hmm...

* Linux 4.18 Is Appearing To Cause Problems For Those Running Older Intel CPU
    * 32-bit PTI For Mitigating Meltdown Is Causing Problems With Early Linux 4.19 Build for Intel CPU
    F*k them

Comment

Originally posted by wpupkin View Post
      If enough people were donating, he would not need to clickbait, just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        If enough people were *, he would not need to *, just saying.
        For sure.

Comment

This developer is able to run the kernel 4.19 on these oldies (PII, PIII, P4 and AMD Duron/Athlon/AthlonMP), after all Linux 4.18 has problems with booting on Intel Core 2.

Comment

Intel

INTEL

Do you fear to name Intel?

First of all, there is nothing clickbaity about the title at all. It is a very accurate description; it's not like he's throwing AMD under the bus here. Fanboys on both sides jump on any opportunity to talk trash, so pointing out a company in a headline encourages that behavior.

Meanwhile, Michael actually has legitimate reasons to worry about Intel. Linux performance with Intel is seriously suffering, while AMD is doing significantly better on Linux vs Windows. Phoronix is small enough where if Intel is unhappy with what Michael is doing, they might stop sending review samples. It's kinda his job to review stuff, so that means he's going to have to buy the hardware himself. Intel hardware is expensive, so, Michael needs to find the right balance between remaining unbiased, appeasing the readers, and not pissing off Intel. It's not an easy job.

Comment

All I want is a correct title not wasting my time.

like "Pointing Intel in title was very wise, it saves me from reading this article, following links, and posting those comments, ..."
              My/your time.

Comment

All I want is a correct title not wasting my time.

like "Pointing Intel in title was very wise, it saves me from reading this article, following links, and posting those comments, ..."
                My/your time.
                It's about 32-bit PTIs and meltdown mitigations... the title says plenty about whether or not it is worth your interest. Unless you're one of the rare VIA Linux users, it's pretty obvious that this is specific to various Intel CPUs (since many of their 32-bit models are still in use).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Intel hardware is expensive, so, Michael needs to find the right balance between remaining unbiased, appeasing the readers, and not pissing off Intel. It's not an easy job.
                  If that's the case, then news sites have already lost against Intel. As long as they stick to the truth, Intel shouldn't be able to do anything against it as I would expect wide coverage about how "offended" Intel is by the truth, which I am sure would harm Intel more than still giving samples.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    It's about 32-bit PTIs and meltdown mitigations... the title says plenty about whether or not it is worth your interest. Unless you're one of the rare VIA Linux users, it's pretty obvious that this is specific to various Intel CPUs (since many of their 32-bit models are still in use).
                    Again, it's not about AMD vs Intel, but like "an vulnerability was foun in pts_android_v7_release function"
                    * first of all it not exist (I hope)
                    * many armv7 android users are pinged
                    * even if exist and pinged none of such kernels are used

Ok, you know this as `pts_android_v7_release` function developer, but what about others? Ok I've missed 2-3 changelogs - and now you pointed at my incompetence.
                    What about others?

32-bit PTI For Mitigating Meltdown Is Causing Problems With Early Linux 4.19 Builds

Context: Meltdown

Mitigating

Linux 4.19

Problems

Comment

Working...
                    X