Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KaOS 2018.10 Released With KDE Plasma 5.14 Desktop, Wayland 1.16

Phoronix: KaOS 2018.10 Released With KDE Plasma 5.14 Desktop, Wayland 1.16

A new ISO spin is available of the KaOS Linux distribution that is closely aligned with shipping the upstream KDE desktop experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent distribution..

Comment

Does anyone know how KaOS compares to say Manjaro?

Seems like they would be fairly similar. I tend to use Manjaro as my "just werks" distro but Plasma/KDE does seem to be treated as a second class citizen sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
        Does anyone know how KaOS compares to say Manjaro?

Seems like they would be fairly similar. I tend to use Manjaro as my "just werks" distro but Plasma/KDE does seem to be treated as a second class citizen sometimes.
        KaOS is limited package selection, don't expect access to AUR to be pleasant as compatibility iirc is not as good and a warning on their FAQ I think. Lack of AUR is a huge downer for me. I'm a power user and developer / artist so KaOS isn't quite for me, it seemed ok for casual user that wants a KDE / Qt only like experience(though they might have changed since they were pretty against any GTK besides the browser and something else, even flatpak/snap was a no-no, but they have adopted that I think now, especially with Discover becoming a thing. There is a review for it where someone was quite critical about it and summarized a negative experience/defaults.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
          What makes you say that plasma is a second class citizen there at manjaro? Could it just be the slow package updates to stable ? Package updates to Manjaro-Stable are relatively slow given that it follows a waterfall-like model. Arch stable hits manjaro unstable and then follows to manjaro-testing/stable.

Comment

Working...
          X