Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa VCN JPEG Decode Patches Posted For AMD Raven Ridge

Phoronix: Mesa VCN JPEG Decode Patches Posted For AMD Raven Ridge

With the imminent Linux 4.19 kernel release there is VCN JPEG decode support within the AMDGPU DRM driver for use with Raven Ridge APUs. The accompanying user-space patches for the Radeon Gallium3D code have now been posted for making this functionality work on the Linux desktop with these Zen+Vega APUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the purpose of this feature? Average Joe has most of his JPEG images decoded by his browser which won't use this HW decoding in any near future.

Comment

Originally posted by simburde View Post
      What's the purpose of this feature?
      I guess HTPC apps could see great use of this, as there people watch movies, but also pictures, etc... so lets use video decode units for everything there

Average Joe has most of his JPEG images decoded by his browser which won't use this HW decoding in any near future.
      Well web browsers could use it too potentionaly, but there is a life out of web browsers. Maybe someone wanna watch jpegs via video player or something

Only not sure what happens when it fails to load because of decoder limitations, player must be smart there to not try to decode what it can't
      Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Unless some image viewer starts supporting it it's pretty useless. But this is the classic chicken egg problem, so welcome jpeg decoding
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'm pretty sure that average home user is not a target for this feature. Instead this could be meant for some professional stuff where high resolution video is encoded as (M)JPEG or something like that. Or maybe it's there because it took almost no transistors to implement in addition to all the video decoding that they already had, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Unless some image viewer starts supporting it it's pretty useless.
            Well, you just need to turn video player into image viewer... just to give you an idea maybe you can use video player as image viewer, for example this:

So if mpv supports this hw decode, this will too

See mvi with gallery-view in action

It would be great to compare in mvi how it goes with and without this decoder I hope AMD decoder won't burn, when it starts doing all these images
            Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Now if there only were some non-shitty notebooks with these APUs out there...

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                Now if there only were some non-shitty notebooks with these APUs out there...
                I wouldn't kick a Thinkpad T-series with Raven Ridge (the A485) out of the bed:

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I wouldn't kick a Thinkpad T-series with Raven Ridge (the A485) out of the bed:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../p/22TP2TAA485
                  Okay, the Raven Ridge Thinkpad isn't shitty but it isn't high-end either. There's no 4k screen, the SSD storage goes only up to 512GB, it's relatively thick compared to other high-end laptops. You see this across all manufacturers' lines – their top models all have Intel CPUs and they only bundle the AMD APUs with lower spec models.

Comment

If this can be used as a drop-in replacement of libjpeg or libjpeg-turbo then I could see this being hugely useful, as that (to my understanding) should use GPU acceleration even in applications that don't support it. libjpeg is used by many applications.
                    But, if it doesn't substitute or leverage libjpeg, I don't see how this patch is ever going to be used.

Comment

Working...
                    X