Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux's ALSA HDA Code Finally Seeing AMD Stoney Ridge Support

Phoronix: Linux's ALSA HDA Code Finally Seeing AMD Stoney Ridge Support

While Stoney Ridge was AMD's 2016 APU platform with Excavator CPU cores and GCN 1.2 graphics, the Linux support in some regards is still being settled in some areas...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe it is 2016, but AMD still release Stoney chips:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...%22_%282016%29

It even says there, that it have VP9 decoding... maybe these newer ones indeed have something more

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Maybe it is 2016, but AMD still release Stoney chips:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...%22_%282016%29

It even says there, that it have VP9 decoding... maybe these newer ones indeed have something more
      I guess this makes sense in the budget laptop niche?

My first preference is to get good performance, so I have a hard time imagining an Excavator core laptop in 2018 even if it's thin and light. But then again my wife's Chromebook has a Celeron N3350 and she's satisfied with the performance. My understanding - could be wrong - is that these chips are comfortably faster at the cost of some battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        I guess this makes sense in the budget laptop niche?
        Yeah, these $200 to $400 range laptops comes with Stoney, for more that is Ryzen's area

If laptop is really new production it usually comes with more updated Stoney, these Q2-18 currently.

They even forget to update bioses there, sells it as A9-9420 but after bios update you get A9-9425
        Last edited by dungeon; 29 November 2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

He, he, so they unlocked Athlon 200GE So one could do BCLK OC now, cool

Comment

Yeah, these $200 to $400 range laptops comes with Stoney, for more that is Ryzen's area

If laptop is really new production it usually comes with more updated Stoney, these Q2-18 currently.
            Right. But for example at Newegg right now, at least for US customers, I can get a new $400 Lenovo laptop with a Ryzen 3 2200U. The cheapest new A9 laptop on Newegg is $350 with the A9-9420. My impression is that $50 difference buys you a hell of an upgrade, I would have a hard time justifying the A9.

(Edit) But I may not be fair, maybe if someone benchmarked the two CPUs against each other the difference may not be that big. The last and best of mobile Excavator against the first and lowest of mobile Ryzen.
            Last edited by Michael_S; 29 November 2018, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure that it is a hell a lot of upgrade, since i think on single core A9-9425 is slighly faster than Ryzen 3 2200U (i mean raw speed, unoptimized, while optimized Ryzen could be slightly faster) If you mostly use single thread apps they are kind of the same, even on 2 cores the same... advantage is only HT there.

But yeah, these near priced are always hard to decide Typical ones like A6 and Ryzen 5 are more obvious as not in same perf nor pricing scheme.

Now Ryzen 3 2200U have faster GPU of course, but is questionable if it is properly configured - comes with really fast ram, etc..

Whatever, cheapest desktop parts beats anything of laptops $400 or bellow, including that lowest mobile Ryzen These are both 3CUs, so GPU boundware the same, but dekstop parts wins on CPU boundware of course

Amd should name that Ryzen 3 U as mobile Athlon instead

Last edited by dungeon; 29 November 2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

the decoding hardware is basically its own thing, they can swap it without much effort at the design stage, as long as they are still manufacturing new chips with that design of course.

Comment

I don't think UVD have it, these on wikipedia tend to count also GPU or DSP based implementations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9#Ha...device_support

So, it is probably GPU based on Stoney using shaders (on Windows of course)

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure that it is a hell a lot of upgrade, since i think on single core A9-9425 is slighly faster than Ryzen 3 2200U (i mean raw speed, unoptimized, while optimized Ryzen could be slightly faster) If you mostly use single thread apps they are kind of the same, even on 2 cores the same... advantage is only HT there.
                    The Passmark CPU benchmarks put the A9 slightly ahead on single-threaded, but I would rather see specific comparisons with specific CPUs and otherwise identical hardware. I doubt many sites bother with such low end parts.

But yeah, these near priced are always hard to decide Typical ones like A6 and Ryzen 5 are more obvious as not in same perf nor pricing scheme.

Now Ryzen 3 2200U have faster GPU of course, but is questionable if it is properly configured - comes with really fast ram, etc..

Whatever, cheapest desktop parts beats anything of laptops $400 or bellow, including that lowest mobile Ryzen These are both 3CUs, so GPU boundware the same, but dekstop parts wins on CPU boundware of course

Amd should name that Ryzen 3 U as mobile Athlon instead

Yes, I prefer desktops and if someone has a $400 budget and cares a lot for performance than a laptop is the wrong way to go. I'm just trying to understand what the sales pitch to the consumer is. "You could get a Ryzen 3 laptop. Or save $25-$50 for an A9!"

Comment

Working...
                    X