Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 30 Might Offer The Deepin Desktop Environment

Phoronix: Fedora 30 Might Offer The Deepin Desktop Environment

The latest Linux desktop environment sought for inclusion in the Fedora package repository is for the Deepin Desktop Environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Deepin is nice, but they use pure QWidgets so whole UI don't use GPU for rendering And Qt don't plan to support such think.

Comment

Well, that's impressive. I clicked through to load the home page for Deepin Desktop Environment and it's a page not found error.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
        Deepin is nice, but they use pure QWidgets so whole UI don't use GPU for rendering And Qt don't plan to support such think.
        Why QWidgets won't use GPU for rendering? Any source of information?

Comment

Originally posted by BaronHK View Post
          Well, that's impressive. I clicked through to load the home page for Deepin Desktop Environment and it's a page not found error.
          The page works well here.

Comment

GPU rendering is not always better than cpu rendering with SSE/AVX acceleration.

Comment

Tried a bunch of different DEs, but I always end up coming back to Deepin. Simple but very well designed, doesn't get in the way and has all the features I need. Also the resolution scaling is probably the best of any distro. I heard they are not even considering Wayland though, which is a bit disappointing.

Comment

GPU acceleration doesn't matter unless you do a lot animation a lot of the time in your app.

Comment

I've been running Deepin ( the distro ) for about a week - largely to try out the desktop. It's nice, but I can't get it to behave *just* the way I want, so I'll be heading back to Gentoo + Enlightenment soon. In particular, Deepin switches desktops on *all* displays together. I just can't get used to that - I'm used to being able to switch desktops on each display independently. Also the transitions have significant pauses while activating.

Having said that - very polished distro and desktop environment. Really nice app store - and they're switching their packages across to flatpak, which I think is a great move. You can teak the desktop with dconf, which is also cool. I can see others ( who don't get so pedantic about the multi-desktop thing ) liking it.

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
                    Tried a bunch of different DEs, but I always end up coming back to Deepin. Simple but very well designed, doesn't get in the way and has all the features I need. Also the resolution scaling is probably the best of any distro. I heard they are not even considering Wayland though, which is a bit disappointing.
                    The thing I like best in Deepin is the default keyboard settings. I don't know what it is, but the rate is so awesome that nothing else compares. No matter how much I tweak, I just can't get Plasma or any other DE to have as smooth input as Deepin.

Comment

Working...
                    X