Lubuntu Will Stop Providing 32-Bit Releases - Starting With 19.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubuntu Will Stop Providing 32-Bit Releases - Starting With 19.04

Phoronix: Lubuntu Will Stop Providing 32-Bit Releases - Starting With 19.04 Cosmic Cuttlefish

The Lubuntu developers have announced today that their LXDE/LXQt downstream of Ubuntu Linux will no longer be offering 32-bit x86 releases moving forward while Lubuntu 18.04 LTS will continue to be supported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In case anyone wants to look at the rough history, or what on Ubuntu is left on i386 I made a simple tracker: https://bryanquigley.com/pages/paper...drop-i386.html

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
      In case anyone wants to look at the rough history, or what on Ubuntu is left on i386 I made a simple tracker: https://bryanquigley.com/pages/paper...drop-i386.html
      That sounds like a main reason

Nvidia annouces EOL for 32-bit - security updates only until January 2019.
      Last love for these is on Debian 10 Buster, but not after that

Comment

Isn't i386 tech the one used in PC's from mid 80's to mid 90's? Why would anyone waste development time supporting that?

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
          Isn't i386 tech the one used in PC's from mid 80's to mid 90's? Why would anyone waste development time supporting that?
          To keep older machines running, because they do their job just fine still. Pentium 4 computers in the early 2000's and Intel Atoms even later were 32-bit too. But they are still old and their market share is very small these days. It's not like when AMD cut support for Terascale while it was still being sold and manufactured.

People still using these very old computers still have other distributions to choose from. I bet Debian even runs on the 8086 fine.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

To keep older machines running, because they do their job just fine still. Pentium 4 computers in the early 2000's and Intel Atoms even later were 32-bit too. But they are still old and their market share is very small these days. It's not like when AMD cut support for Terascale while it was still being sold and manufactured.

People still using these very old computers still have other distributions to choose from. I bet Debian even runs on the 8086 fine.
            I'm not sure about fine and if you want to compile 32bit binaries with SSE2 and only compile them once, the only option really is to drop 32bit-only version of the distro. Only x86_64 based CPU's are guaranteed to have SSE2

Comment

Amarildo there is still a lot of hardware there such approach to memory management is effective

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

I'm not sure about fine and if you want to compile 32bit binaries with SSE2 and only compile them once, the only option really is to drop 32bit-only version of the distro. Only x86_64 based CPU's are guaranteed to have SSE2
                Same way you could say that 64bit is not guaranteed to have something else like AVX2

Debian 6 removed i486 support (OK, unintentionaly, but no one complained ), then Debian 9 removed i586 support, Debian 10 won't remove anything, but next one... who knows, maybe to make SSE2 mandatory before going to unofficial ports

Really Debian supports whatever is default in x86 GCC version that it came with, that is the story about it
                Last edited by dungeon; 21 December 2018, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Same way you could say that 64bit is not guaranteed to have something else like AVX2

Debian 6 removed i486 support (OK, unintentionaly, but no one complained ), then Debian 9 removed i586 support, Debian 10 won't remove anything, but next one... who knows, maybe to make SSE2 mandatory before going to unofficial ports

Really Debian supports whatever is default in x86 GCC version that it came with, that is the story about it
                  Sure. But SSE2 actually is widely utilized throughout userland starting from glibc. If you want to target i586, you're hitting slower codepaths that are never run and tested in x86_64

Comment

Granted, there's also risks involved like there was a glibc CVE for using SSE2 with i386 that was fixed in 2.28

Comment

Working...
                    X