Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Linux Graphics Driver Developers Working On More Efficient Display Presentation For GVT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Graphics Driver Developers Working On More Efficient Display Presentation For GVT

Phoronix: Intel Linux Graphics Driver Developers Working On More Efficient Display Presentation For GVT

Local Display Direct Flip is a feature being worked on by the Intel developers working on the GVT-g graphics virtualization technology for Linux for more efficient display handling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope they find a way to support gvt on haswell, eventually

Comment

Originally posted by fld- View Post
      I hope they find a way to support gvt on haswell, eventually
      was it not initially supported?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

was it not initially supported?
        It supports a less desirable mode I think that can pass the whole iGPU through. The support for multiple vGPU that it's most popular for is Broadwell to Skylake only atm, CoffeLake support coming in the future.

Comment

Michael uses the term "Intel Linux" way too often in article titles.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Michael uses the term "Intel Linux" way too often in article titles.
            Hmm. How would you talk about Intel developers working on Linux drivers for Intel graphics without mentioning Linux and Intel?

Comment

Let dream for a moment:
              * Intel Xe - good performance (let say something like GeForce 1070
              * Intel decide to support GVT in Xe

It would mean that Windows guest VM could be fully accelerated in Linux without second discrete GPU and with "Local Display Direct Flip" setup and use should be easier.

Unfortunately probably it will be different... Probably Xe performance will not be so great and/or Intel will remove GVT support from consumer version of Xe - just like nVidia and AMD did - this feature will be provided for corporate edition Xe GPUs only...

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

It supports a less desirable mode I think that can pass the whole iGPU through. The support for multiple vGPU that it's most popular for is Broadwell to Skylake only atm, CoffeLake support coming in the future.
                I mean initially, when it was in alpha code quality project drafting state, … https://www.phoronix.com/forums//for...38#post1017938

Comment

Meanwhile, local display direct flip feature doesn't need to involve userspace for the guest plane update.
                  I wonder if this feature will also be affected by the framerate bug.

Comment

Working...
                  X