Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Is Working On An HTTP Web Server Module

Phoronix: Qt Is Working On An HTTP Web Server Module

The Qt5 tool-kit continues picking up new features outside of the traditional scope of a graphical tool-kit. The latest feature announced, which is currently a Qt Labs project and developed by The Qt Company, is an HTTP server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This kind of bad idea screams new easy attack vectors :O

Comment

I wish they stop feature freak a bit a concentrate on the cpp GUI code instead.
      Get rid of obsolete/fixing features and especially optimizing the resources usage, instead of adding always more and more extra stuff.

Comment

Comment

Perhaps to make self hosted "web" (Qt webassembly) applications more flexible. Traditional web apps are at mercy of browser context, like have no direct filesystem access. Providing embedded web server in Qt libs could allow writing more powerful hybrid web/desktop apps. Or I'm imagining things.

Comment

I guess there are quite a few desktop apps that have a web front end component to them. For example:
            • The Transmission Bittorrent client has a very powerful web front end for allowing remote control.
            • VLC (the media player) has a web front end.
            I'm not saying that this http server idea is good or bad; just that there are Desktop apps out there already in use with a web interface feature. So apps could benefit from using a QT HTTP server instead of rolling their own. They'll save time and any effort they provide to enhance this HTTP server is shared between all projects.

Comment

Is this to be installed on the end user's desktop machine? Are they expecting the end user to configure the http server when two or more QT apps are installed that need to access the http server? If the expectation is that the apps are to pull data from a remote web server then why re-invent the wheel and not an engine plug-in?

Comment

I suspect that on the desktop this will be "daemonized" with some sharing schema. Still this is a pretty horrible idea. I've always used QT5 for it's "Security" compared to crap like electron or other js bs with unaudited dependencies and script-kiddy quality.

I'm sure this will have to be enabled with `QT += <server or such>` but still, as someone above posted... WHY OH WHY?

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                  I wish they stop feature freak a bit a concentrate on the cpp GUI code instead.
                  Get rid of obsolete/fixing features and especially optimizing the resources usage, instead of adding always more and more extra stuff.
                  Dont overreact. The server is not for the primary display mechanism on desktops. It would be useful should someone want to use Qt to develop web applications.

The nice thing about Qt is if you need to do something, usually it can do it. Its supposed to be a complete app environment, that is comprehensive and has everything you could need. But it actually still works better than Gtk and is much better designed.

"obsolete" feature are sometimes useful or needed for back compatability

Comment

I guess with this they can render Qt code on the web. Like GTK3 have the Broadway project that renders to the web.

Comment

Working...
                    X