Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.16 Getting Rewritten System Settings' Colors Page

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.16 Getting Rewritten System Settings' Colors Page

It's been another busy week in the KDE space for seeing that 2019 will be another successful year for the KDE project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE Plasma 5.16 Getting Rewritten System Settings' Colors Page
    They like to rewrite their dialogs, because that is an easy thing to do ... bugs in the core stay unfixed for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post

They like to rewrite their dialogs, because that is an easy thing to do ... bugs in the core stay unfixed for years.
      I can understand this feeling quite well. But if I wrote bug reports I received quite often feedback as well. So what is missing should be a little more focus on the real bugs that got fixed or that need to be addressed. Features are a nice to have, but a stable platform should get more attention from point of view. For me as a Plasma Wayland user, not all is working perfectly, but if you know how to workaround several issues, it works quite well. But it really is not a good first impression if there is a crash or something works quite bad, new user will just run away if the out the box experience is not perfectly stable.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        But it really is not a good first impression if there is a crash or something works quite bad, new user will just run away if the out the box experience is not perfectly stable.
        Is Wayland on KDE considered at parity with their X11 offering, stable without issues now? Do they promote it as such? If not why would a new user start with wayland vs x11?

If your distro defaults to wayland(which as far as I know most won't for KDE), then it'd be a fault of the distro not KDE? Other times it's fault of the user, eg they might choose nouveau on recent nvidia hardware and find the experience in wayland can be quite bad(last time I checked it was, full of flickering and weird input behaviour, didn't test with other DE or distro, so could have been specific to my choices beyond hardware and nouveau.

Comment

Often there are no bug reports, on other occasions they are not complete or are based on versions that are no longer supported. It is however a problem of all the major DE, how long was the Gnome shell bug memory leak not fixed? It is not so simple, moreover Plasma is an DE that allows many customizations it is quite normal that a certain configuration can have a bug. If people instead of crying help things they would be much better. Every time I have reported a bug, it has been solved quite quickly and above all has paid attention.
          Edit. It should also be remembered that it is quite normal for new versions to bring some bugs that will later be corrected. However, there are LTS versions of KDE for those users who need very stable versions.
          Last edited by Charlie68; 27 January 2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

You might be shocked by this revelation, but different developers have different preferences and different expertise. That some developers decide to rewrite a dialog does not mean that otherwise these same developers would sit down and fix bugs in the core system.
            But then, it is open source, so you have several options if a bug is annoying you: fix it yourself, pay someone to fix it, ...

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              But if I wrote bug reports I received quite often feedback as well.
              Really depends on the maintainer, KWin unfortunately is a lost case.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Is Wayland on KDE considered at parity with their X11 offering, stable without issues now? Do they promote it as such? If not why would a new user start with wayland vs x11?

If your distro defaults to wayland(which as far as I know most won't for KDE), then it'd be a fault of the distro not KDE? Other times it's fault of the user, eg they might choose nouveau on recent nvidia hardware and find the experience in wayland can be quite bad(last time I checked it was, full of flickering and weird input behaviour, didn't test with other DE or distro, so could have been specific to my choices beyond hardware and nouveau.
                They don't. It's still considered beta. I tried it very recently and still saw quite some graphical glitches and other issues myself, while using mesa and AMD card.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Really depends on the maintainer, KWin unfortunately is a lost case.
                  Maybe I should have said that I got from the Kwin developers feedback quite fast too! But not all the reported bugs are because of Kwin, sometimes you first have to fix something in Qt or in the graphic driver to get rid of a bug. So it is not always that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post

They don't. It's still considered beta. I tried it very recently and still saw quite some graphical glitches and other issues myself, while using mesa and AMD card.
                    I use Plasma Wayland on all my AMD/Intel machines. Would you mind sharing what glitches you got? E.g. positioning of some sub menues is an open issue of Qt, Gtk apps scale badly and apps like Kmail can flicker. But overall it is very stable for me on mesa modesetting with AMD/Intel.

Since Plasma 5.12 Wayland support is considered part of the LTS release https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.12.0.php and new features are added since 5.13 to Wayland only.

Comment

Working...
                    X