Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preliminary Support Allows Linux KVM To Boot Xen HVM Guests

Phoronix: Preliminary Support Allows Linux KVM To Boot Xen HVM Guests

As one of the most interesting patch series sent over by an Oracle developer in quite a while at least on the virtualization front, a "request for comments" series was sent out on Wednesday that would enable the Linux Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) to be able to boot Xen HVM guests...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmmm... It's interesting how Oracle is investing in the betterment of KVM and making it compatible with Xen guests. Is it meant to smoothen migration from competing VM solutions? It also makes me wonder what Oracle's future plans for VirtualBox are now. Why maintain two VM solutions? Anyway, having support for Xen's paravirtualized guest drivers in addition to the existing virtio and emulated QEMU/BOCHS devices will help make KVM even more flexible than it already is. So even though I don't trust Oracle as far as I can throw them, this is a welcome and promising development.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
      Hmmm... It's interesting how Oracle is investing in the betterment of KVM and making it compatible with Xen guests. Is it meant to smoothen migration from competing VM solutions?
      Most likely this is useful for their 'Oracle Cloud'. Perhaps even migrate some customers that can export their current Xen HVM instances... if you know what I mean

Comment

Working...
      X