Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 30's Slick Boot Process Is Ready To Go

Phoronix: Fedora 30's Slick Boot Process Is Ready To Go

The work led by Red Hat's Hans de Goede the past few Fedora release cycles has culminated with a great out-of-the-box boot experience for the upcoming Fedora 30...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Boy, IBM is not slowing down Fedora. 😋

Comment

That reminds me too much of windows...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        It went in some time ago. Test upgrades on Rawhide/Fedora close to the mass rebuild phase usually brings a lot of surprises. Few as pleasant as this one.
        Well, last week but Hans just pointed it out today. "Last week a new version of plymouth landed which implements the new theme for this and also includes a much improved offline-updates experience,"
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Typo: "Though at this point AMD Radeon and Intel graphics" -> "Though at this point AMD Radeon and nVidia graphics"?

Indeed, looks a lot like the stuff Windows does when booting or installing updates .... I would like a more verbose information but for the avarage computer user: why not?

Comment

Looks really nice! Will it work on older intel hardware too? I heard fast boot is only enabled by default for skyline and newer, but has Fedora improved this? I'm on a haswell machine (Thinkpad T440s), and hope I can use this too!

Comment

Originally posted by louis_irl View Post
              Looks really nice! Will it work on older intel hardware too? I heard fast boot is only enabled by default for skyline and newer, but has Fedora improved this? I'm on a haswell machine (Thinkpad T440s), and hope I can use this too!
              Haswell isn't getting Fastboot by default due to some quirky hardware back then... You'll just need to add i915.fastboot=1 to your kernel configuration's command line parameters.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

looks good.

but installing on updates on boot? is Fedora already merged with Silverblue?

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
                  looks good.

but installing on updates on boot? is Fedora already merged with Silverblue?
                  Update are installed on reboot for quite some times now. When new updates are available, gnome-software asks you tu "reboot and update".
                  Meanwhile with silverblue, only a reboot is required.

Comment

Just need a screen for when the updates don't install properly now. Maybe something like this:

Comment

Working...
                    X