Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Teasing "Index" - Its Own VR Headset

Phoronix: Valve Is Teasing "Index" - Its Own VR Headset

While Valve has long been collaborating with HTC and others on VR headsets and other ecosystem work to enhance virtual reality gaming as well as bringing VR support to Linux, the company is finally preparing to release its own high-end VR headset: the Valve Index...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll probably never be excited by the prospect of virtual reality. It's just having a screen glued to your face with some sensors surrounding you and it doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't be opposed to some Matrix like setup where something connects directly into my own nervous system but if something like that were even possible it wouldn't even be around for hundreds of years after my death. Assuming mankind is even still advancing for those hundreds of years as the likelihood of a near apocalyptic war for resources, that stops the advancements of sciences and turns human life into just a struggle for existence, seems even more likely.

Comment

Valve and Facebook are not really making big changes to their VR, sure a high resolution LCD screen with terrible blacks, but ultimately still 100-110 FOV.

At least Pimax is trying to deliver better VR, sure its not the best quality LCD's but they do allow 180fov and oled options. There are a few other unnamed headset vendors trying to do that same, but IMO VR is still way too expensive. Going to wait another year and see what happens end of 2020...

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
      I hear wireless VR is pretty good, also keep in mind VR is doing 3D so things don't just look like LCD's strapped to your face, unless its a terrible screen (many have sadly) on the headset.
      If the world ever develops matrix tech, then you can expect a large portion of the world to just DIE in VR because people won't want to jack out to eat etc.. lol
      Last edited by theriddick; 29 March 2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I like the idea of VR, but I'll continue to wait for something with a fully open-source stack that's starting to get supported by some of my 1500+ GOG.com games.

Comment

I'd love an HMD with great open source stack, but that's gonna take a while. In the meantime, if this ships with a Vive-Pro or better screen and first rate Linux support, I'm in.

Comment

VR is legit. Tried my friendsf headset, it's damn amazing. It's not great for serious gaming all around, but it is great at immersing you somewhere new.

Anyone who doesn't think VR has a future or a reason is seriously misguided.

I have been waiting for a new headset that is better than what we have now to plunge in. It sounds like it's coming.

Comment

I was waiting for openxr to support my Samsung Odyssey on linux but probably sell that

Comment

Assuming mankind is even still advancing for those hundreds of years as the likelihood of a near apocalyptic war for resources, that stops the advancements of sciences and turns human life into just a struggle for existence, seems even more likely.
                Yeah, just like "peak oil" was supposed to kill civilization back then.
                It's just propaganda bullshit, as long as you aren't living in an African nation you will be fine.

Comment

I am waiting to see the vive pro eye. Eye tracking is important for my work and products like EyeBOX at 190k are not in my price range.

I should add it is EyeBOX by Oculogica. If Valve adds eye tracking with a nice dev kit hopefully it would bring down prices, whatever price that would be.
                  Last edited by Deavir; 30 March 2019, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I'll probably never be excited by the prospect of virtual reality. It's just having a screen glued to your face with some sensors surrounding you and it doesn't appeal to me
                    Yeah, that's the general opinion which is often changed once they've experienced it. Valves own Lab demo is really awesome. Seriously, you might be surprised if you're open to at least trying it, you might find that it does have actual appeal :P

Assuming mankind is even still advancing for those hundreds of years as the likelihood of a near apocalyptic war for resources, that stops the advancements of sciences and turns human life into just a struggle for existence, seems even more likely.
                    Didn't our big wars actually cause technology to have big advancements?

Comment

Working...
                    X