No announcement yet.

Intel Is Looking For Feedback On Their Open-Source OpenCL Linux Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Is Looking For Feedback On Their Open-Source OpenCL Linux Driver Support

Phoronix: Intel Is Looking For Feedback On Their Open-Source OpenCL Linux Driver Support

In addition to investing in their new "Iris" Gallium3D OpenGL driver and continuing to mature their "ANV" Vulkan driver, they do continue bolstering their OpenCL "NEO" open-source Linux driver that doesn't receive as much attention by the community but is beginning to appear within Linux distribution repositories as the successor to their earlier "Beignet" OpenCL driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

NEO and Beignet support the same hardware generation or NEO is just for Broadwell+ like Iris driver?

Comment

I'm using NEO's opencl in darktable on ArchLinux. I haven't compared whether it is faster/slower than without it but it works I noticed at some point that sway became less responsive while exporting images with darktable+NEO (I didn't observe such a behavior when using only the CPU)

Comment

Want some feedback ?
        Please don't close bug reports about performance issues that mean a kernel can go from usable to unusable (huge spilling everywhere, code immensively slower) because the code uses one register more.
        I'm working on some code, and a small change triggered the shader to take much more time. I found out adding '-cl-std=CL2.0' to the build options would solve the issue. I looked at the difference i...

All my collegues now think this driver is a joke.

Comment

Circumstances haven't aligned for this to happen yet, but I'd be most likely to use NEO with OpenCV. GPU acceleration of GStreamer pipelines is also highly relevant to my interests.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            NEO and Beignet support the same hardware generation or NEO is just for Broadwell+ like Iris driver?
            NEO is for Broadwell+.

Comment

Somehow, I doubt gstoner is reading this thread.

Comment

Thanks for your patience - we were celebrating May Day weekend in Poland and most of the NEO team was out.

andrei_me - LinAGKar is correct, NEO supports BDW and newer platforms; we've recently added Ice Lake support

mannerov - I'm sorry about your experience. It looks like a comment was added after the initial issue was closed and was missed. I've asked our sister team responsible for IGC to re-open and reply in that issue

If you have any other questions or suggestions for NEO, please leave them here or on our Github.

#IamIntel

Comment

Originally posted by AdamCetnerowski View Post
                  Thanks for your patience - we were celebrating May Day weekend in Poland and most of the NEO team was out.
                  I'm glad to see the follow-up.

I really appreciate Intel's commitment to OpenCL.

Comment

Working...
                  X