Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Is Looking To Hire Another Experienced Open-Source Graphics Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Is Looking To Hire Another Experienced Open-Source Graphics Driver Developer

Phoronix: Red Hat Is Looking To Hire Another Experienced Open-Source Graphics Driver Developer

Red Hat is hiring for their open-source graphics driver team...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a long list of requirements for no listed hiring rate... As much as I like Michael and RH, I dislike seeing Phoronix advertising for Red Hat with such a bad job ad. Shame on both of you.

Edit: just to clarify for the Americans out there: they list a bunch of unique requirements in order to get the cream of the crop, yet they are not willing to show what they're willing to pay, hoping for people they hire to be paid less than they could be paid. It's scummy. If you're going to say "well, where I work they also don't disclose what they're wanting to pay up front", they you might too be in a scummy company.
    Last edited by Compartmentalisation; 14 May 2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

The job is also available globally and income levels for different jobs are different depending on place of hire.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post
        That's a long list of requirements for no listed hiring rate... As much as I like Michael and RH, I dislike seeing Phoronix advertising for Red Hat with such a bad job ad. Shame on both of you.

Edit: just to clarify for the Americans out there: they list a bunch of unique requirements in order to get the cream of the crop, yet they are not willing to show what they're willing to pay, hoping for people they hire to be paid less than they could be paid. It's scummy. If you're going to say "well, where I work they also don't disclose what they're wanting to pay up front", they you might too be in a scummy company.
        They do that for all sorts of American jobs. No need to get all nationalist on us. Jobs like to fuck us regardless of the country we live in, and they do some scummy stuff here. They list requirements that are technically impossible, like needing 5 years of c++ 17 experience. If you manage to get a really "good" job, HR has dedicated staff to help you get welfare and food stamps.

That 5+ year *lists random graphics stuff* part is going to be the biggest deal breaker. Unless using the software counts, I doubt that very few people will meet that requirement that aren't already at a good paying job.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
          The job is also available globally and income levels for different jobs are different depending on place of hire.
          I see the remote working as a positive for those who like it, but I really don't see how "we'll pay you 50% of our already undisclosed planned wage because you live in Kenya or somewhere else" as a positive and *certainly* not as something Michael should be advertising on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
            While I don't qualify for that job at all, it would suck to be screwed on pay because my state has a lower cost of living than most of America.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They do that for all sorts of American jobs. No need to get all nationalist on us. Jobs like to fuck us regardless of the country we live in, and they do some scummy stuff here. They list requirements that are technically impossible, like needing 5 years of c++ 17 experience. If you manage to get a really "good" job, HR has dedicated staff to help you get welfare and food stamps.

That 5+ year *lists random graphics stuff* part is going to be the biggest deal breaker. Unless using the software counts, I doubt that very few people will meet that requirement that aren't already at a good paying job.
              Sorry if it came across in a nationalist way. I've worked in a few European countries and eastern Asian countries, including China, and American job offers always had the habit of wanting to be secretive about their payment so I assumed it was their thing.

And agreed, their requirements are weird. (all translated) BA in compsci. 5+ years in working in not just Android systems or Xorg, but even Wayland as if that's not a niche of a niche automotive market. Be greppable in the kernel mailing list. Have an extensive GitHub profile. 5+ years working at Red Hat or similar. I also agree that they likely won't look too closely at those requirements, but then what's the point in advertising like that and on Phoronix?

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

I think you've got that backwards.

If I fit that list of requirements, I'd definitely assume I could negotiate my own salary to whatever I wanted. If RH just flat out said it was $X per year, that'd be a turn off in my book.

Now if this was a job at McDonald's, then sure it'd be better to have it public.

Comment

Good to see that IBM acquiring RedHat didn't hamper their Mesa / DRI efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Good to see that IBM acquiring RedHat didn't hamper their Mesa / DRI efforts.
                    I doubt internal restructuring is done yet, still have to wait and see... but yeah I'm hopeful too.

Comment

Working...
                    X