Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Night Color Feature Being Ported From Wayland To X11

Phoronix: KDE's Night Color Feature Being Ported From Wayland To X11

It's another busy summer in the KDE space with a nice mixture of bug fixes and features being pursued for KDE Frameworks, KDE Plasma, and KDE Applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is nice. Until now I was using Redshift with a Redshift control widget on Desktop.
    I hope that they can look a bit also at the notification info for copying moving items and add the missing info like the transfer speed.
    This is very useful for me to find bottlenecks caused by some improper configuration on local disks or network on my behalf.
    Anyway, KDE Plasma is awesome and I want to say congratulations and thank you to its developers!

Comment

Pretty weird to see a feature implemented in Wayland first, then X11. But, I guess that really shows how much KDE is pushing hard for Wayland.

Comment

I guess this is a great reason not to use KDE. It's not a X11 desktop environment anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
          I guess this is a great reason not to use KDE. It's not a X11 desktop environment anymore.
          It seems to me an unusual statement! Plasma currently uses Xorg by default, because Wayland is not yet ready for KDE. This is a small feature that was probably easier to integrate in Wayland. I don't understand what the problem is ... Kde on Xorg works very well, actually much better than other DEs. With Xfce and others DE I had for example an annoying tearing that I don't have in Kde.

Comment

But why? X11 is dead, right, so why put effort in porting this feature then?

Comment

I think it is the right choice to target wayland first when developing new functionality - that just means that there will be less blockers/issues when wayland is finally ready for prime-time...
              I'm looking forward to test out the nightmode - currently using redshift, too

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                But why? X11 is dead, right, so why put effort in porting this feature then?
                Plasma on Wayland is far from feature parity with X11. I'll assume that you are baiting.
                It seems to me that there is not enough manpower to properly push Wayland.

It's still crashing on logout on Wayland https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=372789
                Last edited by Pepec9124; 23 June 2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  This is nice. Until now I was using Redshift with a Redshift control widget on Desktop.
                  I hope that they can look a bit also at the notification info for copying moving items and add the missing info like the transfer speed.
                  This is very useful for me to find bottlenecks caused by some improper configuration on local disks or network on my behalf.
                  Anyway, KDE Plasma is awesome and I want to say congratulations and thank you to its developers!
                  And a way to make the notification history interactive. For example, if I missed a notification about updates, I can't click it in the history list to open the Open Software Center.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
                    I think it is the right choice to target wayland first when developing new functionality - that just means that there will be less blockers/issues when wayland is finally ready for prime-time...
                    I'm looking forward to test out the nightmode - currently using redshift, too
                    They didn't develop it for X11 because they have a feature-freeze policy regarding X11, which means no new features are developed for X11 and all such effort goes to Wayland. X11 only gets fixes. Of course, sometimes they push this policy aside to implement one feature or another, like this one. I'm really glad they do because I would like to have that feature built-in and more stable than redshift. I tried switching to Wayland, but it's too buggy for me to use it on a daily basis. So I applaud that change of mind

Comment

Working...
                    X