No announcement yet.

OpenHMD 0.3.0-rc2 Released For This Open-Source API/Drivers For VR/AR Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenHMD 0.3.0-rc2 Released For This Open-Source API/Drivers For VR/AR Hardware

Phoronix: OpenHMD 0.3.0-rc2 Released For This Open-Source API/Drivers For VR/AR Hardware

Issued today was the second release candidate for OpenHMD 0.3.0, the open-source project providing a common API and different drivers for VR/AR hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The PlayStation PSVR support did end up getting disabled in thsi release, however.

Comment

I'm surprised, Valve didn't back it for Index support. There is a community effort now: https://github.com/OpenHMD/OpenHMD/issues/239

Also, they should start using Vulkan instead of OpenGL really.

Comment

It's sad that they still don't list position support for any devices.

If I wanted 3-DoF VR, I'd use a phone. Or Oculus Go.
        (Except I wouldn't use Oculus Go.)

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post

It's the hardest part from what I've heard. But there is some WIP on it.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            I'm surprised, Valve didn't back it for Index support. There is a community effort now: https://github.com/OpenHMD/OpenHMD/issues/239

Also, they should start using Vulkan instead of OpenGL really.
            OpenHMD does not use opengl or vulkan, it does not handle any rendering.
            It has GLSL shaders (which can also be used in Vulkan) as a way of handling lens distortion correction, and the examples are SDL2 wit GL, but OpenHMD is actively used in GL, DX and Vulkan applications.

Originally posted by coder View Post

As you can see on the Devices list on the website and wiki, NOLO already supports positional tracking for both the tracker and the controllers.
            There is constant effort being put in positional tracking and great progress has been made so far, but unfortunately it is a complicated matter.
            Loads of people already use OpenHMD though because of the multi platform nature, open source drivers and possibility for using all SteamVR and OpenXR applications on a headset of choice (instead of vendor lock-in), including setups with Proton, though most devices are 3dof supported so far.

Comment

Working...
            X