Thunderbird 68.0 Released As A Big Update For The Mozilla Mail Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbird 68.0 Released As A Big Update For The Mozilla Mail Client

Phoronix: Thunderbird 68.0 Released As A Big Update For The Mozilla Mail Client

It's been over one year since the introduction of the Mozilla Thunderbird 60.0 series while today Thunderbird 68.0 was made as the next official update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember the good old days when version was the version number. A new version was exactly what it said. A new version which meant that the program was rewritten from scratch and perhaps was backwards compatible. A new revision was exactly what it meant - a revised version which usually introduced new features. More often than not fully backwards compatible. Then we had a final number which was a bug fix for that revision of the version of the program.... Ah those where the days... The only interest I have in Thunderbird is because it's used in the SeaMonkey suite!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

And it’s still completely useless because I can’t minimize it to the systray meaning it wastes space on my taskbar. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        I remember the good old days when version was the version number. A new version was exactly what it said. A new version which meant that the program was rewritten from scratch and perhaps was backwards compatible. A new revision was exactly what it meant - a revised version which usually introduced new features. More often than not fully backwards compatible. Then we had a final number which was a bug fix for that revision of the version of the program.... Ah those where the days... The only interest I have in Thunderbird is because it's used in the SeaMonkey suite!
        I'm sick of marketing-oriented versioning schemes as well. I wish people stuck to a scheme that defines what different version bumps mean, like semver.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          And it’s still completely useless because I can’t minimize it to the systray meaning it wastes space on my taskbar. Sigh.
          +1

In the meantime, I am using the "RBTray" utility to minimize Thunderbird to the tray in Windows. Specifically the fork that is here: https://github.com/benbuck/rbtray

I am sure I saw similar solution via 3rd party tools on Linux, but I haven't tried those yet. I think you're one google search away on that.

Comment

Yes, they are constantly breaking 3rd party add-ons. When are they going to learn they need to build in minimize to tray?

Comment

Originally posted by lancethepants View Post
              Yes, they are constantly breaking 3rd party add-ons. When are they going to learn they need to build in minimize to tray?
              Never.

I hate the current compatibility status in Linux, and I'll be forced to rant about it later this day.

Comment

This release looks like a step in the right direction, but on macOS, the message listing font is still way too small. I wish there was a way to adjust that within the preferences.

On Linux I don't believe Thunderbird sets the window-manager 'urgent' hint or at least the option to do so. One of these days they'll get it right...

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  Use MinimizeToTray Reanimated to do the job! (works on all platforms incl. Linux)

https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/th...rc=userprofile

Some installations don't work after the initial installation so it's better to use the latest "dev" version and not the "release" one!

Get the "dev" version from here:

Mozilla extension: Minimize windows into the system tray (Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey, Instantbird) - ysard/mintrayr

And dont' forget to disable automatic updates as the "dev" version will get replaced by the "release" version!

Yes, everything could be much easier if Mozilla would just get the job done by themselves, but hey...
                  Last edited by George99; 28 August 2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
                    Yes, everything could be much easier if Mozilla would just get the job done by themselves, but hey...
                    What I have been wondering is... why don't they do so, if it is clear people want it?

Comment

Working...
                    X