Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel To Try Flipping IOMMU On By Default For Linux Graphics

Phoronix: Intel To Try Flipping IOMMU On By Default For Linux Graphics

Longtime Intel open-source graphics driver developer Chris Wilson today sent out a set of patches attempting to enable IOMMU coverage for graphics by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Graphical corruption on Intel graphics has plagued my experience with various laptops and occasional desktop in Linux for the past ten years. If this can help them figure out what the problem is, even if it causes some performance loss, I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow
      Graphical corruption on Intel graphics...
      Really? I’m using Ivy Bridge and Broadwell graphics chipsets and have no problems. Wayland makes it even better.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        Graphical corruption on Intel graphics has plagued my experience with various laptops and occasional desktop in Linux for the past ten years. If this can help them figure out what the problem is, even if it causes some performance loss, I'm all for it.
        Most likely "xf86-video-intel" is to blame here...
        Just remove it & be done with your corruption problems!
        The 'modesetting' driver built into the X.Org-Server will automagically take over; you don't have to do anything else on your own.

Incidentally, I was seeing tearing with mpv on Intel's Gen7 graphics, and traced down the problem to "xf86-video-intel". (Which is dead, by the way...)

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
          I'm going to echo the other guy called Linuxx on saying that you probably just need to nuke xf86-video-intel and use the generic modesetting driver instead. Similar experience, it's baaaaad.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think xf86-video-intel even supports my kabylake system. On modesetting.
            I'm having tearing issues (intermittently) and corruption issues. Wayland is a lot less stable, and I get a LOT more glitches, so I'm still on Xorg for now.

Comment

Working...
            X