Fedora Workstation 31 Should Be Another Fantastic Release For Desktop Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Workstation 31 Should Be Another Fantastic Release For Desktop Linux

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation 31 Should Be Another Fantastic Release For Desktop Linux

Fedora Workstation 31 when it debuts at the end of October should be another great release for the Fedora project and continuing to ship with the bleeding-edge yet stable packages and latest upstream innovations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this fantastic release going to continue to bring up the rear in benchmark testing I wonder?

Comment

and continuing to ship with the bleeding-edge yet stable packages and latest upstream innovations
      Sigh... I remember when OpenSUSE used to provide this before the last SUSE owners got a hold of it and made Richard Brown the OpenSUSE chairman. :-( Then it became all about stability, using the antique SUSE Linux Enterprise kernel, containers, etc. It went from an 8-month release cycle to a yearly release cycle, while major changes were reserved for once every three years (!!!!!!).
      It went from competing with Fedora to competing with Debian Stable, with a concomitant slide in popularity on DistroWatch. Hopefully a new SUSE owner, a new chairperson and talk about setting up an independent foundation will bring OpenSUSE back and give Fedora some friendly competition again.

Hmm... someone needs to make green caps with a "Make OpenSUSE Great Again" logo.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post

Sigh... I remember when OpenSUSE used to provide this before the last SUSE owners got a hold of it and made Richard Brown the OpenSUSE chairman. :-( Then it became all about stability, using the antique SUSE Linux Enterprise kernel, containers, etc. It went from an 8-month release cycle to a yearly release cycle, while major changes were reserved for once every three years (!!!!!!).
        It went from competing with Fedora to competing with Debian Stable, with a concomitant slide in popularity on DistroWatch. Hopefully a new SUSE owner, a new chairperson and talk about setting up an independent foundation will bring OpenSUSE back and give Fedora some friendly competition again.

Hmm... someone needs to make green caps with a "Make OpenSUSE Great Again" logo.
        Doesn't Tumbleweed provide "the latest shit"? (Been a while since I looked into SUSE.)

Comment

openSUSE provides a Leap fix release distribution and a Tumleweed rolling release distribution, both of which are fantastic. What do you want more?

Comment

Imho Fedora Workstation is massively underrated as a distro. Fedora/RH devs from my PoV do a lot of work on the Linux desktop that other distros get the praise for.

But the good thing about all this work is that it benefits all distros.
            Last edited by Britoid; 23 September 2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

From my experience going back quite a few years, Leap has been kind of a side project, and Tumbleweed was the primary opensuse distro which got the majority of the work. I don't think anything you've said here applies at all to Tumbleweed, other than the slide in Distrowatch popularity.

Comment

Running F31 beta currently on a Macbook Pro 2014 and playing WoW Classic through Fedora's Wine Staging 4.16 package; all is well!

Comment

Looks like a good release and I'll probably update both my laptop and my desktop to it the moment it's released. I am kinda disappointed though that gradle was removed from the repositories. I understand that the maintainer couldn't keep maintaining it anymore, but for a distribution which is supposed to target developers I expected someone to show up and take it over. I know that gradle can be installed with alternatives like sdkman and every project has a gradlew script but I still expect a serious distribution to have in the repositories, even a bit outdated version so that I can just do `gradle init` and start from there.

On a general thought, I believe that since Ubuntu started targeting snaps and Fedora flatpaks, the quality of native packages in both distributions is getting worse and worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

openSUSE provides a Leap fix release distribution and a Tumleweed rolling release distribution, both of which are fantastic. What do you want more?
                    and not just rolling.. even rolling back from boot, thanks to btrfs snapshots by default!
                    Thanks geckos

Comment

Working...
                    X