KDE + Qt 5.14 To Better Behave With Context Loss Around NVIDIA's Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE + Qt 5.14 To Better Behave With Context Loss Around NVIDIA's Driver

Phoronix: KDE + Qt 5.14 To Better Behave With Context Loss Around NVIDIA's Driver

Currently when resuming from systemd suspend or switching back to the KDE desktop from an alternate VT, it's possible with the NVIDIA proprietary driver to see screen corruption or leakage of previous screen contents to areas of the lock screen / desktop. This annoying issue is now being better addressed with Qt 5.14...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This also happens on GNOME (partially fixed in 3.34) and GTK. You'd hope Nvidia would actually fix their crappy driver than having to rely on workarounds.

Comment

It also happens with Chromium, within the web content.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        This also happens on GNOME (partially fixed in 3.34) and GTK. You'd hope Nvidia would actually fix their crappy driver than having to rely on workarounds.
        Afaik it's legit driver behavior, but obviously if other vendors can get along without this why can't Nvidia?

Speaking of Qt5 and Nvidia: Even an empty QWindow fails to resize under Plasma5 when doing so with the mouse, on Gnome it does resize but with a lag of like 2 seconds. Anyone else having this bug? Is it a Nvidia thing?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Speaking of Qt5 and Nvidia: Even an empty QWindow fails to resize under Plasma5 when doing so with the mouse, on Gnome it does resize but with a lag of like 2 seconds. Anyone else having this bug? Is it a Nvidia thing?
          Qt5 windows resize well here with amdgpu and Compton's new experimental xrender backend + vsync via present extension.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Afaik it's legit driver behavior, but obviously if other vendors can get along without this why can't Nvidia?
            Legit that uploaded textures are scambled without instructions from or even informing the application? There are extensions now to at least put the entire context into an error state when it happens so the application can start over, but those are extensions, and needs to be explicitly enabled, and even then they rely on the context telling the app: -I have pissed my pants- I have encounted an error I can't recover from.

It is broken behavior, and there because NVidia hardware doesn't support the sleep power state.

Comment

Working...
            X