Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Dolphin Now Lets Users Know What's Preventing A Drive From Being Unmounted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Dolphin Now Lets Users Know What's Preventing A Drive From Being Unmounted

Phoronix: KDE's Dolphin Now Lets Users Know What's Preventing A Drive From Being Unmounted

For those wondering what KDE developers are up to at the start of November, KDE's Nate Graham has published his latest weekly blog post highlighting the new developments in the KDE space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I moved away from KDE after it moved to the 4x series, it really seemed to suck to me back then!
    I've installed and tried a few KDE centric distro's since then and used them for a while to see how things were progressing but nothing alone has grabbed me enough to move me back to it.
    However, with all the advancements across the board this last few month I find it is time to install and try it again!

Comment

Originally posted by ptyerman View Post
      I moved away from KDE after it moved to the 4x series, it really seemed to suck to me back then!
      I've installed and tried a few KDE centric distro's since then and used them for a while to see how things were progressing but nothing alone has grabbed me enough to move me back to it.
      However, with all the advancements across the board this last few month I find it is time to install and try it again!
      I was the same way for a long time myself. My first intro to Linux was Debian with Gnome back in 2002 (dual booted with Win2K Advanced Server until 2005). Went to Ubuntu with Gnome from there a year or two later. A year after that was XUbuntu for a month or two to Debian Testing XFCE for a couple years (no more dual booting until 2016) to finally settling on Arch with XFCE around 2008.

Did not care for KDE one bit back then and half the reason was that everything being named Kthis and Kthat got really old fast and the other half was it offered a lot in the ways of customization, and for a relatively new user, 1 to 2 years of Linux usage, it was just too much too fast so I never gave it a 2nd thought until I saw some Plasma screenshots on Reddit four or five years ago.

Antergos and Plasma 5.2 or 5.4 is when I decided to give Plasma a shot since XFCE was getting stale and too simplistic for me, I didn't care for Gnome 3, wasn't really a fan of Mate or Cinnamon (realized I didn't care for the Gnome 2 style when I discovered XFCE), and since I broke an Arch install, decided on Antergos with Plasma since I wanted to try new things. Moved between Arch, Antergos, and Manjaro over the next two years and settled on Manjaro since, for me, it was always rock solid and more stable than Antergos or Arch for the long term. The Linux OS might change, but Plasma doesn't. I've been a Plasma user ever since, and with the way things are going with other graphical toolkits and desktop environments, I do not see me leaving the Plasma/KDE/QT ecosystem any time soon.

Also, now y'all know why I visit Debian and Ubuntu threads quite frequently. I'm like one of those creepy Facebook stalkers keeping tabs on my exes 15 years later .

Comment

Would be nice to have per folder thumbnail size control, well at least I can't see such a option for Dolphin atm. And maybe a folder tree exploring option like what Nemo has. Really NEMO is just awesome IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Would be nice to have per folder thumbnail size control, well at least I can't see such a option for Dolphin atm. And maybe a folder tree exploring option like what Nemo has. Really NEMO is just awesome IMO.
          If you're using the default layout, Press F9 to remove Places and Press F7 to add the tree view.

EDIT: And "Menubar>Control>Settings>General>Behavior>Views>R emember Properties For Each Folder" should do the thumbnail size control you're wanting.
          (it's literally the 2nd option on the first settings page)
          Last edited by skeevy420; 03 November 2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Did not care for KDE one bit back then and half the reason was that everything being named Kthis and Kthat got really old fast
            As opposed to GNOME with gThumb, gColorChooser, GIMP, gSound, Galeon, gedit, GDM, etc.

Comment

If you're using the default layout, Press F9 to remove Places and Press F7 to add the tree view.

EDIT: And "Menubar>Control>Settings>General>Behavior>Views>R emember Properties For Each Folder" should do the thumbnail size control you're wanting.
              Oh cheers, I dunno why I didn't know this, think I did but forgot.

Comment

The info about why can't a drive be unmounted is a nice one. On Windows 7 is very common not to be allowed to remove a drive and be forced to yank it or restart the system.

Comment

Unfortunately the zoom level is not one of these properties. I have set it, but when I change the zoom level for one folder it applies to all the others, too ...
                  Thanks for F7 and F9!!!

Comment

Originally posted by givbra View Post

Unfortunately the zoom level is not one of these properties. I have set it, but when I change the zoom level for one folder it applies to all the others, too ...
                    Thanks for F7 and F9!!!
                    Yeah, that's tracked by https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=408617

Comment

Working...
                    X